Today's Mainstream Music...

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I was discussing this with a friend on facebook just a little bit ago.

She posted up a link to a Ke$ha song called Take It Off. Basically a song about a place where everyone gets drunk and high as hell and gets all sexed up and what not. She also has another song out there that I've heard that's about her wanting to show her man how much of a slut she is.

She has a decent voice, and although the content of her lyrics are horrible, her ability to form strong verses are there. If I listen to her music without vocals, I could enjoy some of the riffs and what not. However, the topics she decides to sing about turn me right off.

She's selling herself out to the mainstream society's need to digest as much filth into their minds as possible. It's not even just Kesha; Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Mariah Carey and a few others are guilty of this type of thing. A lot of the latest up and coming artists all have talent but lack a heart for the music. It's like when they sit down to write their songs, they aren't writing from their hearts, their just writing what they think the public wants to hear.

A lot of these artists would be ten times better, if they'd stop trying to be popular, and started enjoying what their doing. Some of these fine voices would sound a lot better if they weren't spouting out filth. I mean, I'm no prude, I don't mind a little bit of innuendo, but a lot of the songs today are hardly subtle.

So what are you're thoughts? Do you agree, disagree? Can you think of other examples?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Look at basically all the "popular" rap music, it's the same thing. Nothing but drug and sex anthems which is fine if you're going to a club or just don't give a fuck. Otherwise, it's extremely annoying to hear these people called artists because it's not music, its just noise. Music is an artistic form that requires at least a teaspoon of effort and talent.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not a big fan of artist like Kesha or Lady Gaga, but they know what sells albums and that's what they're doing. It might not be good material, but they are on top of the album charts and in the end that's what really matters.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I'm not a big fan of artist like Kesha or Lady Gaga, but they know what sells albums and that's what they're doing. It might not be good material, but they are on top of the album charts and in the end that's what really matters.
I disagree completely. I don't think it matters at all that they're at the top of the charts. The fact that they are shows that people today don't care about talent and quality at all. It's a drone mentality. So many teens and young adults today don't explore their own love of music. They don't buy albums based on what they like or what they think is good. They look at the charts, pick the top two and go out and buy those albums, because it's a sure bet that all the 'cool' people will have it too.

So yes, those artists are at the top, but it's not because their music is any good, it's because they no how to play the game. So they can be at the top of the album sales list, but they shouldn't be at the top of the 'top 10 greatest music' chart. Album sales are hardly dependent on album greatness.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yeah popularity doesn't always equal quality but at the same time the opinion of the many tends to trump the opinions of the few, Smel. So unfortunately it gives them some measure of being "good". Doesn't mean we have to agree though.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
True, I suppose you're right. I'm just frusterated that it's getting harder and harder to find good music these days fewer and fewer GOOD artists are getting record labels. Thankfully it's easy enough to go back in time and listen to the good stuff from the past.

Unity

Jedi Mind Tricks
Staff member
Well the good thing about music today, though, is that you can hit up a site like last.fm and learn about incredible bands you hadn't heard about (at least that's been the case with me).

We're not limited to what a local radio station is playing, or what's on MTV and popular.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
You know, Smel I agree with you on just about everything except that part about Ke$ha having a "decent" voice. Her voice is awful, its all autotune lol. I don't think I've heard a single a song of hers where autotune wasn't used. She is just atrocious... but I'm guilty of having some of her songs on my iPod. Man, I am such a fuckin' hypocrite.

Last edited:

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
Well the good thing about music today, though, is that you can hit up a site like last.fm and learn about incredible bands you hadn't heard about (at least that's been the case with me).

We're not limited to what a local radio station is playing, or what's on MTV and popular.
Yeah, agreed. Tools like Last.fm have become more and more useful over the past few years. Without the intervention of Internet & even piracy, a lot of the music wouldn't even get heard in the first place.

It's reasons like this that, when it comes to music it tends to get a bit of a touchy subject for me and a lot of my comments towards it are laced with a dickhead motive. I've encountered too many conversations that ended the same way when it came to music. I once talked to a guy, he was pretty good on guitar. He was telling me, "It's ridiculous. I could put out kickass riffs all night just to have some tard come up to me and go, "Good shit man. You know any Korn?"I guess you can call it annoyance because there is a world of music out there, yet people don't see it beyond what they hear on their car radio. It's a shame.

Quite honestly, I'm shocked anyone even listens to mainstream radio. Even in a car - .mp3 players are so affordable now with adapters to plug into anything. Just need to go out and find the music. Definitely not hard to do.

Hiei

The Hierophant
I have a friend that was trying to make it into the music business. He plays drums and according to him, he's played with a few bands that ended up touring but that probably no one knows.

Anyway, he said that basically, these companies that publish artists have a group of people that write all the lyrics to songs like it's poetry, then they just give the lyrics to the bands, and it's the bands job to figure out how to write the music to match up with the lyrics. I'm not sure how accurate this actually is but it makes sense. I know that there's a lot of really shitty songs out there that have amazing beats. The licks are there, but the lyrics completely destroy the song.

But this isn't even like it's something new that mainstream popular music is shitty. That's been going on for years and years. Mainstream music is just out there so that companies can rake in the money from mindless teenagers.