To Those who Think They Can't Travel

RTWmaniac

Registered Member
Some of you know that I've been traveling for 6 months. Sadly, I'm now back in the states, although I have a week in California before I head home to NJ. Americans of course have the reputation for not traveling like the rest of the developed world. While these arguments are usually flawed, we are outnumbered by several nationalities, namely the English, Canadians, Australians and Germans. So if there's anyone out there who is considering long term travel, DO IT! I guarantee you can make it a lot cheaper than you realize. Stop making excuses, reestablish your priorities, and make it happen for yourself.

In 2008, I managed to visit 21 countries. I can say, with absolute certainty, it's been the best and the most influential year of my life. Some people tell me I'm crazy for spending every dime I have to see the world. I say you're crazy for not doing it. You only live once, people. Don't waste time while you have it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'd love to do something like you did. Your trip sounds amazing. But I'm much more likely to leave civilization behind and spend 6 months in the wilderness, hiking from Mexico to Canada.

snowflake

Registered Member
wow.. sounds like u had a fab time... would love to do that, only ever visited 6 countries but would love to see the world !
------
I'd love to do something like you did. Your trip sounds amazing. But I'm much more likely to leave civilization behind and spend 6 months in the wilderness, hiking from Mexico to Canada.
now that sounds appealing... but so does kenya and brazil :)

Last edited:

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
I'd love to visit the world.

The problem is that I struggle to get time off work so I have to take short breaks.

I am still only young so hopefully I can put some money and time aside and see the world when I'm older.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I am defenitely going to do this one day, I've always wanted to.

RTWmaniac

Registered Member
Leaving civilization is the best way of doing it. English, just save up and quit your job. Everyone else in your country does it! And Swift, I acctually prefer traveling alone. There is no compromising and it's easier to meat people, both locals and travelers.

snowflake

Registered Member
Leaving civilization is the best way of doing it. English, just save up and quit your job. Everyone else in your country does it! And Swift, I acctually prefer traveling alone. There is no compromising and it's easier to meat people, both locals and travelers.

oooo wat a good idea.save and quit !!...
:lol::lol:

dont think i cud travel alone tho !! :cute:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
as much as I wish I could... its just simply out of the question.

I personally cannot finance such an expedition and even if I did that would leave multiple weeks possibly months without any income... thus leaving me broke when I got home. On top of that I simply cant leave my work.

which brings me to the question:

How do you fund your travels and What is your current career path?
------
Some people tell me I'm crazy for spending every dime I have
just save up and quit your job
never mind I see you've already answered them...

those would be sufficient answers for someone who has no responsibility.

Last edited:

RTWmaniac

Registered Member
Basically, it's all about prioritizing. If you think your career is more important than seeing the world, then you don't want to travel enough to do it. I was in the same dilemma until I realized that I could either work for the rest of my life, retire and die living a painfully ordinary life. Or I could just quit, do amazing things and try to get back on track when getting back.

To answer the last post, I am a social worker. I risked losing my job to do this but in the end I got my job back. Even if I lost it though, I wouldn't have the smallest regret.

I fund my travels by nothing more than saving up. I don't go out to eat, I don't buy flashy, unnecessary accessories for my car, I don't go to concerts or sporting events. So, yes, traveling long term involves making sacrafices. You have to make it the single most important thing in your life. More important than a career, a house, a car, or a significant other. But being broke when you get home is an absolutely insignificant non issue after you climb mountains, trek rainforests, hike glaciers, motorbike jungles, raft rivers, get lost in cities, eat weird things, sleep in the desert... you get the idea.

Last edited: