To the non-Americans (of MD and elsewhere)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chaos, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Just out of interest really, but does it annoy you when someone comes into a debate that could be about any topic and they make their point solely on the US Constitutional laws?

I guess this mostly applies to MD, specifically Law & Politics, Divisive Issues, etc, but I have seen it from time to time in General.

Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all but sometimes it's very irritating if the subject is not limited to the US. It's almost as if they're ignoring the rest of the world and imagining it to be US-only. Personally, I find it annoying because it can come across as ignorant and stubborn.

Bananas likes this.

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

If this is just another hate America thread which I have a feeling it is, you can go get bent.

In response to your question, we use the Constitution because it IS our rule of law. Everything falls back on it.

3. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

you meant to say is limited to the us, i guess?
    anyway, yeah ...i think discussions should be about many countries, not only about the states. but then again seems like the whole world has its eyes on US ..and no one has time to pay attention what's going on in other parts of the world.
    there are lots of threads in Law and Politics i can't post in because they're mostly about Obama and the states and i can't write in there because i don't have many informations.[i only know what i watch on TV].
    so there are kind of limited discussions in MD parts...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  4. Chaos

"Another"? Considering that I didn't know there was one in the first place, you can kindly get bent yourself my good man.

That's just it; it's not world-wide law. I have no problem with referring to it but in a thread that is globally-related, it can be a little annoying to see. I don't talk about a subject with UK law only in mind, and I don't think I ever see it from anyone except Americans. I don't have a problem with it as such, it's just irritating because it seems so ignorant.

5. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Then that may have to do with the large number of Americans here too.

If I remember correctly there are quite a few members who discuss European politics as well. Sim, Bjarki, and Bananas come to mind.

6. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

Maybe the US users refer to the constitution because that's all they really know about? I don't know about how schooling is in other countries but we mostly focus on our own politics. When having a debate you are most likely to stick to what you know the most about. In the case of Americans that would be the constitution and the Bill of Rights.

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Nobody needs to be telling anyone to go get bent. Geez, guys.

When there's a debate based on opinion, whether it's about American politics or not, it bugs the shit out of me when people bring up Constitutional laws. I don't fucking care what the Constitution says. What is YOUR opinion? I sure as hell don't base all of my opinions on a 200 year old document. Times have changed since then.

Bananas and Barbara like this.
  8. Chaos

That's fair, but if you don't know what you're talking about why join the debate?

Inorite? :rolleyes:

9. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

Because one perspective still helps a debate, It allows the door to be opened for education of both parties. I tell you about the constitution and you are like "Well here in England blah blah blah". Then an agreement may be able to be made

pro2A likes this.
  10. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

Doesn't really bother me. Most of the time no Americans reply in the first place :stare:
    Most of the things we discuss, as Europeans, are about global issues that transcend our national agenda's. The EU, immigration, foreign policy, islam, left or right, etc. All issues most people, even from outside the EU, have an opinion about and that don't need any special background info.

The only thing that bugs me is that for us Euro's the only thing we can really discuss is the foreign policy of the US and not internal affairs. Not that there's a real desire to, but it would be nice to discuss Obama's presidency on a 'dummy' level. The knowledge of the US-members on internal affairs is way too detailed to match our own superficial one, so I tend to keep out of these threads.

So back on topic, doesn't bug me. It's actually rather interesting to see how Americans use the constitution in their debate, like it has the authority of the bible and is right on every issue. And similarly, how the debate is mostly about whether the text should be taken literally or whether we should go by our own 'modern' views on matters.
    If it helps the debate any, I'm not sure, it's an interesting tradition that's for sure. I don't think there are any other states in the west that hold their democratic tradition so highly as the Americans. The respect they have for their founding fathers and their constitution is so much greater than the knowledge we have of our great statesmen. :nod:
    I sometimes enjoy reading Pro2A's posts for example, they may be rigid, but there's passion involved and lots of erudite knowledge.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
    pro2A likes this.