to the brits

Discussion in 'Foreign Languages' started by whateverdude_09, Feb 23, 2009.

1. whateverdude_09

whateverdude_09 Registered Member

another question for the britishfolk from across the big blue wet thing.

i have problems understanding your slang. you have these weird words for weird things.

such as:
    nutter
    buftie
    bugger

and others...please feel free to translate and add to my list.

thank you for your participation.
    if you're nice i'll let you call me a yank

do you have questions about our slang over here in America? i'll be happy to answer your inquiries

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009

2. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

Nutter = Weirdo
    Buftie = Closet gay
    bugger = jack ass

3. whateverdude_09

i can't think of much else here... can you help a bit...i'm sure my fellow americans...or at least the ones that are as ill informed as i am...will appreciate it.
    ------
    here are a few more:
    all to pot
    arse (i know what this one means)
    banger

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

5. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

All to pot = shits hit the fan
    Arse = pretty much the same in any culture
    Banger = a really crappy motor vehicle, usually unreliable.

6. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

Bugger is also the term used to explain one man taking it "up the 'arris" from another. Very popular in prisons, alledgedly. Although calling someone a Bugger indicates that they are, as EEB said, a "Jack-Ass".

Also, a banger can also be a type of sausage, as in "Bangers 'n' Mash".

7. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

Alright, geezer? Wha'gwan? 'ow's Winnie the Pooh?

I was Charlie Chalk'ing to some yankie chicken pie from the United Two An Eights earlier an' 'e asks me what I Sean Bean by 'apple an' pears' an' i told 'im 'stairs'. Muppet! 'e wa proper discomdodulated. Anyways, same avvy, quick as a flash, this uvver young Lord Fauntleroy comes ken' n dover ter me an' 'e's like "ay up Synd, can ya tells us where the stinky poo are cause I'm burstin' 'ere lad?". I says wha? He says, "the bog? loo..? toilet!". I sez ter 'im "'ah, aye, ere mate, just rock an' roll up horse an' 'ound street, go around the Jack Horner and you'll catch 'em on the surf an' dreft". 'e didn't 'ave a Danny La Rue what I was lemon peeling about! I 'ad ter 'old 'is hand an' Navan Blake 'im up Tony Blair myself! What a bloody world.

Although it contains a large amount of cockney slang, this site covers and converts quite a large portion of our obscure dialect into sensical standard English. It's a real fun read and I've often flicked through it myself. Although not all of it is in widespread use, much of it is familiar. It's not until you look at it in this isolated way that you realise just how loveably absurd some of our speech is.

Gawdon Bennet! Forgot I've got me g-skin skinner on the go so I better get Cilla Black in the kitchen before me cat and mouse burns down. Tom Hanks for reading, guv'na. Lor' luv a duck!

Jeanie likes this.
  8. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

bugger can also be used in place of fuck to suggest something is not right.

eg.
    "I buggered my knee playing football"
    *TV wont switch on* "Its buggered!"

9. whateverdude_09

i found this site when i was making this thread...it was just ridiculous and I was thinking do British people really say things like that?

i also heard that specific regions/cities have different slang.

10. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

That is true. Depending on where you go and who you talk to, you'll likely find that different areas of the country have different words for things. On a wide scale, you have north and south, where in the north "pot" is used for everything no matter what it is and a "teacake" is what we in the south call a bread roll.

Going into a smaller scale, certain areas of London use cockney rhyming slang, only shortened. Basically you take, as a probably wrong example, stairs, change it to apples and pears, then further shorten it by using only one of the words. Meanwhile, if you visit Bristol, you'll find people dropping their h's, pronouncing th as F and ing as en, and all sorts of other things. You'll find that a "drive" is someone at the wheel of a bus, a "jammer" is a lucky bastard, and a "shithead" is a Bristol City fan*.

*You know it's true, shitheads.