• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

To the Atheists and Non-Religious Members of GF

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was thinking about this earlier today. So atheists and non-religious members, let's assume for the sake of this thread that you are right. What if you (somehow) had the ability to declare a specific religion to be true, and it would happen?

Which religion would you want to be true and why?

All major and minor religions can be discussed in this thread. Please don't make them up though. It has to be something legitimate that people actually follow or followed in the past.

If you could hand pick the one true religion, what would you pick and why?

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Well this can't end up well. :lol:

Personally I don't think any religion as is, would be good enough to be "the one true religion". It is my belief that organized religion is made up by people so there's always going to be something wrong with it. If I were to have one to make true, it'd have to be perfect in every single way, and I can't even imagine what that'd be like.

What I would actually do is make the morals of the religion "true" (because every religion has the same basic principles). I'd have to do some major research because I don't know everything about every religion, but the ones like don't cheat, don't steal, don't murder would be in there. Basically, it'd be a combination of everything that everyone can agree on.

Diederick

Registered Member
Religion has a great function as a placebo. I would come up with a religion that would not have negative side-effects (hatred, ignorance, psychological damage, etc.) and which would somewhat abide the laws of nature. Mainly because I don't see how the less intelligent half of the world's population can be taught Existentialism.

People need a little something to hide the meaninglessness of life, a LITTLE something, just a small Deity to answer the call of the heart when needed. Religion is just the nasty side-effect.

And of course we're (probably) right.
------
What I would actually do is make the morals of the religion "true" (because every religion has the same basic principles). I'd have to do some major research because I don't know everything about every religion, but the ones like don't cheat, don't steal, don't murder would be in there. Basically, it'd be a combination of everything that everyone can agree on.
What about don't do other dudes when you're a dude? Morals are best left open for debate, because you never know what science is going to reveal as the latest truth. Everyone always thought gay guys were sickos who needed to be castrated to rid them of the disease - boy were they wrong. Though we think we know everything right now, I'm pretty sure we're still in for some major surprises.

But nowadays we can pretty much imagine (empathy) what would be a good moral law and what would not be. It's back to basics really: if it hurts, it is bad; if it feels good, go ahead. But don't let it hurt others.

Last edited:

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I agree that picking an already established religion to be right wouldn't necesarily be the way to go but for the sake of the thread I'd go with........

Hinduism. But the modern day version which doesn't utilise the caste system. The thing I've always liked about Hinduism is that it's always seen other religions as another road to the same end. Once you've managed to ascend through the higher life cycles of reincarnation you become one with the creative force of the univerese, like a drop in the ocean. It's humbling.

Also the existence of Karma would reassure a lot of people.

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
If you could hand pick the one true religion, what would you pick and why?
I wouldn't, because I believe that while there may or may not be one or a number of divine beings, all religions are ultimately worshipping the same one(s).

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I wouldn't want to pick one to be honest. With a few exceptions, most religions are about harmony and being a good person. It's the people that fuck religions up. Christianity is the best example. Not a single christian lives the way Jesus did and nobody seems to have the same compassion for every person despite their traits or beliefs.

monstertoad101

Registered Member
I'd go with pagism, as a lot of the things in life today originated with pagism, such as Easter. I feel that a lot of Christianity, etc is already based oin Pagism, so, surely, pagism, would be the way to go. IMO

Bananas

Endangered Species
Hybrix; said:
let's assume for the sake of this thread that you are right.
No need for assumptions, Im always right! :p

Hybrix; said:
Which religion would you want to be true and why?
The problem here is what religion is true to itself? Very few practice what they preach and even when full of good intent they are so twisted by their own piety they are quite the opposite. It would be very difficult to pick any of them, the roses may look pretty but the gardens are full of thorns.

FutureTrackStar

Registered Member
The problem here is what religion is true to itself? Very few practice what they preach and even when full of good intent they are so twisted by their own piety they are quite the opposite. It would be very difficult to pick any of them, the roses may look pretty but the gardens are full of thorns.
- Please, Bananas. We've gone over this. How well people conform to the teachings of their religion is not a reflection of the religion itself, it is a reflection of the people. Christianity says, "never lie, never steal, never murder, never covet, etc. etc". If everybody actually behaved as Jesus wanted them to, we would be much better off.

Bananas

Endangered Species
- Please, Bananas. We've gone over this. How well people conform to the teachings of their religion is not a reflection of the religion itself, it is a reflection of the people.
Christians acting Christian define what Christianity is.

Think about it;
If every Christian on the planet converted to an alternate religion, would the religion still exist?

...or if you disagree then is Hybrix asking; what fairytale/myth/story would make the nicest reality?

Christianity says, "never lie, never steal, never murder, never covet, etc. etc". If everybody actually behaved as Jesus wanted them to, we would be much better off.
If everybody behaved as I wanted them to, we would be much better off too.

Last edited: