To Learn French or Spanish?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
So I might want to learn a new language. Which should I learn and why? Practical reasons please.

How hard is it to learn French compared to other languages? A few people I know might be learning it soon and I am wondering if I should give it a try.

It's either that or Spanish, which is definitely a more popular language in the US, which is one good reason to learn it.

So, which makes more sense to learn? I don't have any pressing need to learn either but I do want to know more than one language eventually. I figure why wait.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Go for Spanish, it's similar to Italian. That is if you know ANY of Italian. For example if I took a Spanish class, I would do good in it, because I know a bit of Italian.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well the main things for me are that I know some people who are going to be learning French soon. I could learn it with them if I chose to go that route.

I don't know anybody who will be learning Spanish but I do know several people who speak it so it would be easier to find somebody to speak it with. I wouldn't get to learn it with anybody though.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I say learn Spanish because it'll be more useful for you, especially where you live. However, if you don't know anyone who speaks it and have not met anyone you need to speak Spanish with, it might not that be useful. With French, it seems you have friends you can talk to and learn at the same time. That might be more motivating for you and chances are, with exposure and practice, the lessons will stick to your head more. Plus, if you want to learn French, I can help you with it. :lol:

Both languages have latin roots so they're not really that different. In case you want to learn the other later, a knowledge of the latin based languages (Italian, Portugese, Spanish, French) can be an advantage.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I don't think it should matter if you have anyone to go with or not. If you really want to learn the language then it'll be just as fun on your own.

Do you plan on visiting France or Spain in the future?

Personally, I found French to be easy to pick up as lots of the words are easy to remember and similar to the English language.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think it should matter if you have anyone to go with or not. If you really want to learn the language then it'll be just as fun on your own.

Do you plan on visiting France or Spain in the future?

Personally, I found French to be easy to pick up as lots of the words are easy to remember and similar to the English language.
Mostly it would just be for fun, but as somebody in the US it's pretty obvious that Spanish makes the most sense.

As for visiting France or Spain, probably not. But Spain should almost be replaced with Mexico or South America to be honest, considering that most Spanish spoken in America is not going to be "Spain" Spanish. (Although I did some research on the two and it appears that it's mostly the same difference between American English and British English. Different accent, some different phrases and slang but basically the same at the core).

Whatever I learn I would try to learn the correct "accent" too so I could sound like a native speaker instead of a foreigner with an accent. For example I had a psychology teacher who spoke English as a second language and I didn't even realize it until he told us. He sounded totally normal.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
If it's mostly for fun, learn the one your friends are learning. You can all laugh and curse together in the process.

Wade8813

Registered Member
French and Spanish are both similar to each other (and both have some similarities to English).

For you personally, I'd guess that Spanish is more useful, since a much larger percent of the US's population speaks Spanish (especially in the South and on the West coast).

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I say Spanish. As others have said, there is more of a presence for it in America. It's so much easier to get work too, when you're bilingual in English and Spanish. There is a huge need for that.