To just buy food for one month

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

A magazine put out a challenge where you can't buy anything for a month, other than food (including alcohol). No clothes. No movie tickets, etc.

Could you do it? Have you done it?

2. Hilander

Hilander Free Spirit Staff Member V.I.P.

Yes I could do it and have. Well unless you exclude stuff like shampoo, bath soap, etc then the answer is no and never have.

3. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Yeah. The day before this started I would make sure I have everything I need until the month is up

4. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Registered Member

Since I'm sort of tight with my money anyway, I wouldn't try this challenge of purchasing nothing but food. It's not like I'm someone who needs to learn how to not overspend.

5. danwiz

danwiz Registered Member

Yes, I could do it, but only if I didn't pay any of the monthly bills, which include electricity, internet, auto insurance (paid monthly by credit card) and phone. So, conisdering that everybody here is using the internet to read this, then the answer for every single person who reads this is going to be "no, I couldn't do it, not unless I didn't pay the bills."

6. Unity

Unity Phenomenal Staff Member

If we're not counting mandatory stuff that I couldn't go without (gas for the car, pills for my kidney) then I think I could do it. It would be really tough, though.

7. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I've come really close it to do this if not actually doing it for many months. Sleep on friends couch,bike to work, no cable, no phone. It wasn't a social experiment, I was just broke as hell. Glad those days are over.

8. Impaired

Impaired Registered Member

Before Amazon, yes.

Since then, probably not. I certainly could. I quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey - determination I have.

I don't buy clothes often, music is probably the one thing I buy more or less constantly. Well, that and tech gadgets, knives and things that light up.

Oh, and animal masks.