• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

to dual core... or not to dual core...

P

pasteycracker

I've been pricing out computers lately and I'm stuck on one aspect.

Is it worth the extra money to have a dual core process instead of a single? And it doesn't help that I'm trying to set my budget at like 600 dollars. lol

Ã

Æshættr

$600? Unless you're building a *nix box you need to set aside around $200 of that for an OS. Say, about $100 for RAM, and another $70 for a HDD (these are insanely low values, I'm just taking it that you'll be buying mid to low performance parts on that budget). After that you'll need a motherboard (keep in mind that you've spent $370 at this point and have $230 remaining for a MoBo, processor, and video card) a cheap motherboard will go for around $50, and processor for another $80. A video card can be cheap, we'll say $30. And this isn't even covering a case/power supply (I'm just presuming you'll take those from a computer you don't use anymore), you'll still need an optical drive of some sort. Say that's another $30 for a CD-ROM(no write capability). That'll leave you $40 for anything else I may have left out. With parts at those prices, you'll have a computer that would have been top of the line about six years ago. A dual core processor would not help with this computer, as the processing power would not be the performance bottleneck (and a motherboard that supports dual-core processors would cost even more).

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
If you HAVE the money to just throw around (probably around $1500+ before you should even start looking at dual core), by all means, go for dual core. If you're on a budget (especially a really really low one like $600), definitely not, you can build a perfectly good computer without dual core, and you're going to have enough issues as it is getting it below your budget.

P

pasteycracker

I am planning to use this as a *nix box. I have a spare 160GB hard drive, and I'm sure I have an optical drive somewhere.

but thanks for the input... I'm going to reconsider everything.. :p

A

aschaefer04

have you had any experience with *nix before? if not, and you're jumping into this fresh off of being on MSXP, i wish you luck. MAN am i glad i didn't depend on having a *nix distro like i used to want to before i got into serious computer building...haha

P

pasteycracker

I've had some experience before. I never really used MSXP, lol. After my old 233mhz pentium box running 98 I got my iMac. :p
and OS X is unix based...

And plus some distros are rather easy to use... like Ubuntu. :]

Ã

Æshættr

Well, you should also be able to get by on integrated graphics unless you're going to be doing something graphics intensive like editing. Minus the cost of the HDD, optical drive, OS, and mid-range video card you'd be able to buy a dual-core processor with an appropriate MoBo. If you have any sort of case/power supply that fits your computer that's about $70-150 off right there. As far as linux distributions, Red Hat, knoppix, and Ubuntu are the easiest to use (Red Hat has been discontinued in favor of Fedora, though).

N

Nestor

$600? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A decent (re: stable with good firmware coding) 64 bit chip will likely run... no, I tell you what. I'll hop on NewEgg to prove how unrealistic you are in your endeavor. Let the numbers speak louder than I ever could.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0717007+1051007374&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=343

There you go. Dual core, decent firmware (you can go Toledo or Manchester, your pick) and the price... well, you see that the rest of your computer is out the window. Motherboards are, by and large, another hundred, hundred and fifty. You'll also need a better cooling solution than the stock fans that come with the processor.

Good luck! ^_^

P

pasteycracker

werd. well again, I haven't priced PC hardware in ages so I have no clue what costs what. I just threw 600 out as a base figure to show that I'm not going to spend a couple grand on a computer.

I think I'm just sticking single-core processor.
Even then, it depends if my university will require me to get a laptop.
~_~

I

IntheNet

pasteycracker said:
Is it worth the extra money to have a dual core process instead of a single?
pastycracker: Go dual. As a matter of fact, go dual all the way: 2GHz Intel Core Duo, an iSight camera, Front Row, iLife ’06, 13-inch glossy widescreen display, sleek case, able to boot from both (Wintel) Windows OS and Apple (10.3) OS, and starting at $1099.

Meet: MacBook.

I have a Powerbook now but I will be buying one of these MacBooks this weekend.