To Buy it Now or not to Buy it Now ... that's my question

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by yooperchick, Aug 18, 2005.

1. yooperchick

yooperchick Registered Member

In everyone's experience in selling bizzare/weird items, should one utilize a Buy it Now or just let the bidders decide how high it goes?

2. Julie

Julie Registered Member

That's a very loaded question. It all depends on what you're selling. And the other factors to look at are:

What's the going rate for that item (check completed listings, then current)?
    Do most of these run for 3,5,7,or 10 day or are more sold from a BIN?
    Looking at current auctions, are there more on bidding...more on BIN...or with bidding & BIN together?

Another option is to just do the bidding, but have a reserve price set for it.

3. yooperchick

I've never seen what I am going to sell on eBay before. So, I have no idea what to set the Buy it Now at if I decide to set one. I could set a price, but what if it could go higher than that.

I do plan on going 10 days on this one so maybe I should just let it ride and put a reserve on it like you suggested.

Ugh...the decisions...how do you regular high profilers keep sane! :D

4. Julie

Julie Registered Member

OH...I'm sorry Tricia! I didn't even realize you were talking about a weird/bizarre auction! <smacking myself in da head> DUH!!

I just sell regular, everyday stuff...so what I talked about before referred to that!

If it's a weird/bizarre auction, that's a different story! I usually don't see a BIN on weird stuff. And as far as a reserve, I usually only see a reserve on mystery auctions. Otherwise...some put on a reserve to make sure they get their listing fees covered if they spend the $$$ to feature it & stuff.

5. TGirl

TGirl Registered Member

I never used BIN on Bizarre stuff...like my mystery auctions....I used reserve or started the bidding high.......sometimes I would just start it out at the ebay fees too since most times it cost me like 22.00 to list a auction!

6. yooperchick

Well, I'm gonna use a reserve and forget about a Buy it Now. Ok. I decided on one thing. I can mark that off my list. Now, just about 100 more decisions to go! :lol: