• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

To burn or not to burn?

Daemonic

Registered Member
I actually thought about this after a post in my UTM topic. I have had one picture of my ex fiancee/sons mom in a drawer for a few years. I thought I was completely over it but I found out she is getting married next month and have a strange desire to burn it but for some other reasons don't want to.

So that is the question.....

To burn, or not to burn? That is the only thing I have left she gave to me directly other than a child. I wonder if burning it would symbolize releasing what she did to me?

Konshentz

Konshentz
After me and my first ex broke up, I burnt everything she ever gave me. Me & a few friends had a huge bon fire and I started it with notes she had written, kept it going with gifts she had given me & by the end I was burning pictures of us. I completely regret it to this day. Not the smartest idea, but I was young. That's why I haven't burnt or thrown away anything from the most recent ex - everything just got stuffed in a box and down into the basement.

I rambled a bit, but my point is... no, don't burn it. You can never unburn it. But maybe I'm just overly sentimental. Haha.

Daemonic

Registered Member
There are reasons I have thought about not burning it. We have been apart for years now but it was soon as I found out she is getting married I had the desire. I dunno, maybe in some weird way I feel like I have to totally let her go even though I thought I was over it.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I usually keep all my stuff from my ex's. I am friends with most of them still and it just reminds me of the good ol' days just...have them around 'just in case'. I have only burnt the pictures and notes of my highschool sweet heart. I was barely able to survive the pain that I went through when she left this world. I now regret doing it. We were together for 3 plus years and she was my first real girlfriend. I don't know why I burnt away all the memories, but at the time it felt right and made me move on.

Daemonic

Registered Member
Yeah, maybe you all are right.

I guess it's just kinda strange finding out the girl you have a kid with and were going to marry is getting married in less than a month. Maybe the thought is just bringing back memories. I know I would never date her again but it's just weird.....

Dabs

Registered Member
Ohmigosh, pardon my shockage, but I have never burned a photograph in my life!
I simply can not do it....that photo symbolizes a part of my past life, whether it be good or bad.......
In fact, I still have all the photos from my son's first wedding.
He had asked me to throw them out, and I was going to, but then I realized, half of them had my Mother in them, or my Dad in them or my other children...and I remember calling and saying to my son "I can't just throw them out"
So he asked me to just put them where he can't ever see them again ~LoL~
As far as old flame pictures...I toss them into an old box and they are stored away.
It takes some doing to drag those out, so they never do *ha*.....but it doesn't bother me to look at photographs of an old relationship.....that's just part of my life and I must have been happy at some part, or otherwise, we wouldn't be laughing in the pictures :)
That's just my take.......I have this weird phobia about burning or throwing away photographs~
And Sonn, the fact that you have a child....and it's a connection with this photo, is all the more reason I think you should keep it, just my two cents~

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I don't know, it's hard for me to say because I have a really good relationship with my daughter's dad. I do have exes whose pictures I have burned or thrown away, but no one with whom I've had that connection.

It's true you can never unburn them, but so what? What would be the point in hanging on to them, especially if you feel it would be cathartic to burn them?

Konshentz

Konshentz
I burnt mine in the heat of the moment, completely pissed off at my ex. But as time passed, anger faded and so did my memories. That's when I wished I had the pictures or notes or gifts, stuff that doesn't fade as quickly or permanently as memories can. That was my personal reason for saying "no" to the whole burning thing.

Plus, he had said that the thoughts of burning came with the news that the ex was marrying. That could fade... or maybe not. When an ex moves on that is some difficult shit to deal with.

Daemonic

Registered Member
Ohmigosh, pardon my shockage, but I have never burned a photograph in my life!
I simply can not do it....that photo symbolizes a part of my past life, whether it be good or bad.......
In fact, I still have all the photos from my son's first wedding.
He had asked me to throw them out, and I was going to, but then I realized, half of them had my Mother in them, or my Dad in them or my other children...and I remember calling and saying to my son "I can't just throw them out"
So he asked me to just put them where he can't ever see them again ~LoL~
As far as old flame pictures...I toss them into an old box and they are stored away.
It takes some doing to drag those out, so they never do *ha*.....but it doesn't bother me to look at photographs of an old relationship.....that's just part of my life and I must have been happy at some part, or otherwise, we wouldn't be laughing in the pictures :)
That's just my take.......I have this weird phobia about burning or throwing away photographs~
And Sonn, the fact that you have a child....and it's a connection with this photo, is all the more reason I think you should keep it, just my two cents~
Oh, I do have pictures of her and my son right after he was born and would never get rid of those ones. The difference is this is the only picture or item I left I have left that she gave to me.

but yeah, now that I think about it I don't think I could burn it anyway..... :lol: