To Burn or not to Burn? That is the question

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
I believe to those that are posting here that we're have similar governments. Because I noticed that most posters here now are from the US, Canada or Australia. If anyone else sorry I have not noticed.
Some of you may know that 1980 it was legal to burn the US flag under the !st Amendment. Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump and others want to reverse that decision.

Now I'm speaking of any country as Democratic as our own. I'm not siding with countries that are Communist.
As I believe it takes voting by the people to get an elected President into office. I believe then that makes us all We the People. Let's never forget God.

Now I want to ask in everyones opinion think about your own country's flag. Do you think that there should be laws to protect the flag from getting burned in all circumstances? Or should be ok to burn the flag?
Ok let's see what anyone has to say with this issue.. I'm still trying to decide for myself how to weigh in the facts.
No it's not easy but try your best answer.

stock-vector-vector-flags-of-all-countries-in-one-illustration-257061943.jpg

Impaired

Registered Member
I'm a veteran. I don't like flag burning.

I do like freedom and therefor, I support the right to burn the flag in protest.

Well said in the movie, the American President.

CubsMascot

Registered Member
I say no burning of the flag. Look at all it represented in the past present and future.
1 When man stepped foot on the moon for the first time the "United States Flag" was left
2 When any military person dies the " United States Flag" is either left on the casket or given to a family member
3. When you go to any sporting event and sing the national anthem you have your right hand to your heart and look at the "United States Flag"
4. When any government offical is in a limo driven car there are " United States Flags " on the antennas
5 The "United States" was built one nation under God and the flag represents that.

With the flag being represented in all these situations of importance how can anyone condone any burning of the flag?
I would also say that it should be punishable by fine of some sort.
If you want to burn a flag then don't be disrespectful as to burn it in the country that gave you your freedom.

Impaired

Registered Member
I say no burning of the flag. Look at all it represented in the past present and future.
1 When man stepped foot on the moon for the first time the "United States Flag" was left
2 When any military person dies the " United States Flag" is either left on the casket or given to a family member
3. When you go to any sporting event and sing the national anthem you have your right hand to your heart and look at the "United States Flag"
4. When any government offical is in a limo driven car there are " United States Flags " on the antennas
5 The "United States" was built one nation under God and the flag represents that.

With the flag being represented in all these situations of importance how can anyone condone any burning of the flag?
I would also say that it should be punishable by fine of some sort.
If you want to burn a flag then don't be disrespectful as to burn it in the country that gave you your freedom.
If you can't burn the flag in protest, how free are you?

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
If you can't burn the flag in protest, how free are you?
I think you misunderstand the word freedom. If you were mad at your mother and father as a child you would hold up a picture and burn it up in front of their faces. The police can't arrest you for that. But these parents love this child and didn't understand what the parents were doing.
The problem with burning the flag is it is disrespectful to a nation as a whole. There are 50 stars on the flag which represents every state and citizen.
Because there are plenty of Americans that like to fly their flag in their yards.

Truly when you go to serve your country you are serving every citizen. So when you burn the flag you are ashamed of every citizen that lives in America legally. ford Chevy and Dodge are American car companies that we should support.
As CM also said the early history here of America was inspired by the divinity of God. Long ago when the TV station would come on they would talk about God for a few minutes, talk about America and yes with the US flag at the end. So I say this. Freedom who gets this? Every single citizen in the US.

Impaired

Registered Member
I think you misunderstand the word freedom. If you were mad at your mother and father as a child you would hold up a picture and burn it up in front of their faces. The police can't arrest you for that. But these parents love this child and didn't understand what the parents were doing.
The problem with burning the flag is it is disrespectful to a nation as a whole. There are 50 stars on the flag which represents every state and citizen.
Because there are plenty of Americans that like to fly their flag in their yards.

Truly when you go to serve your country you are serving every citizen. So when you burn the flag you are ashamed of every citizen that lives in America legally. ford Chevy and Dodge are American car companies that we should support.
As CM also said the early history here of America was inspired by the divinity of God. Long ago when the TV station would come on they would talk about God for a few minutes, talk about America and yes with the US flag at the end. So I say this. Freedom who gets this? Every single citizen in the US.
I fly a flag in my yard. I served in the military.

I do not always agree with the government (rarely, in fact) and believe that free speech has to be unfettered right up to the point of where you cause physical damage. Like yelling "FIRE!" when there isn't one. There are real world cause and effects.

Protest, like flag burning, does not cause physical harm to people or property. (Burning MY flag can get you your ass kicked, that is theft and destruction of property.)

Luckily, in the land of the free, we are free to disagree.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hate it when people burn our flag. I take it as a sign they hate the US, its people and what it stands for. However I wouldn't want it to be made illegal, makes it easy to recognize who hates this country. People can protest and get their point across without disrespecting us all.

Impaired

Registered Member
I hate it when people burn our flag. I take it as a sign they hate the US, its people and what it stands for. However I wouldn't want it to be made illegal, makes it easy to recognize who hates this country. People can protest and get their point across without disrespecting us all.
This is an excel;lent point.

CubsMascot

Registered Member
It shouldn't matter if it was legal or illegal..there should not be a reason to burn any flag for any state or country. If someone does wouldn't that show they hate the state or country to begin with? It's representing protest or hatred right? For some reason they think that burning the flag is going to hurt us the worst as a country. But stop and think about it ..you may or may not get in legal problems and there will always be another flag to represent what you tried to destroy in the first place..

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It seems incredibly stupid to me to burn the flag. The argument is, burning the flag is an expression of free speech. When one looks out at the world, very few countries recognize this freedom. In many parts of the world, people are beaten, jailed, and even killed for expressing speech. Not here. So, someone is going to use their freedom of speech, to burn the flag of the country that recognizes that speech? Makes zero sense to me.

I also don't understand the hatred shown towards this country but these people. My grandparents left Mexico because it was a shithole. If people feel that way about the US, how about you stop being a whiny little bitch and move? And I'm not talking about disagreeing with policy or wanting change. Dissent is how things are changed. I'm talking about thinking the US is a racist country, built on racism, and is a horrible place. Then leave. It's what my ancestors did. It's what adults do.

That being said, it should not be illegal. It IS free speech, and in the US one has the freedom to be a dumbass.