To all religions

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Jokulhaups, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Jokulhaups

Jokulhaups Registered Member

So. I'm just going to throw out there that I am an atheist (and as such have been discriminated against thoroughly....it's quite annoying actually). Anyway. I'm just wondering what makes everyone who follows an established religion follow it. For instance did you have an epiphany? Were you simply brought up that way?
    I just want to try and understand.

I'd also like to know what makes you say that all god's (other than yours) are non-existent.

I suppose all of this is irrelevant if you follow a religion without a god such as Buddhism (at least there isnt really a god in buddhism as far as i know).

anyway I'm just interested in seeing what you have to say.

lol it's my first post we'll see how it goes.

2. Easily-Amused

Easily-Amused http://easily-amused.com/

i am religiously deist, but culturally jewish.
    I believe that all of the stuff in the Torah happened, though I am not saying that I agree with it.
    how did i come to this conclusion?
    well, I grew up as a conservative jew. One day, I decided to look into the differences between evolution and creation. i read the creation stories in the household bible [[ mind you, i have to search for that and it took a good three hours ]], and then I read my science book's chapter about evolution.
    looking through evolution, I saw how delicately everything worked out, how there had to have been some trial-and-error, "but things could not have happened so delicately by nature alone," i thought. So, i believe that G-d helped evolution along, pretty much.

i guess in that sense, it was a thought process biased by the fact that I was brought up Jewish, and I still believe in G-d.

3. Mickiel

Mickiel Registered Member

I do not follow a religion, I have not had an epiphany, and I don't know any Gods, and couldcareless how many Gods others worship. I am attracted to the bible, it lures my mind more than allelse I have examined in my lifetime. I believe it is the best truth avialible " For Me." I am not a Christian, and I don't like ANY religion on earth, nor agree with them on most things.

But I believe there is a God, because I reject the other alternitives avialible to believe.

Peace.

4. Jokulhaups

so what makes you dismiss the existence of other's god(s) and/or goddesses?

5. Easily-Amused

Easily-Amused http://easily-amused.com/

its how i grew up
    i dont think there is really a need for multiple deities, and I grew up only believing in one, so i guess i dont dismiss the idea, i just dont personally believe it. if that makes sense?

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Buddhist right here.

I'd like to think that there is some sort of god out there, but the idea is too abstract to wrap my mind around.

7. Jokulhaups

lol yeah that makes sense. Just wondering

Also...oxymoron your actually a buddhist? am I right that there is no god in buddhism? Cause I'm pretty sure i am but i cant say for sure...

Anyway
    I think you should try and wrap your brain around the concept of God(s);)

If nothing else it will give your brain a good workout.

8. Corona

Corona Registered Member

I read a lot, watched people a lot. Thought a lot. Decided to be an athiest.

9. AdrienneEHouseman

AdrienneEHouseman Registered Member

I'm a pagan. As I have mentioned elsewhere on here. Also as I have mentioned elsewhere, one of the main tenets of the branch of paganism that I follow is that all deities that have been worshiped are valid deities. By no means do I worship all of them (that would be impossible) or even like all of them, but I view all of them as valid.

I was raised in a household with one strongly atheist parent (my dad) and one agnostic/closet Christian parent (my mom). I've always been interested in mythology (which is what originally led me to an interest in paganism), and the sense of grounding and unity after a circle (religious gathering) is amazing. I can't really exactly explain why I believe what I believe, but for me it works.

Adri

10. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I think there's two main branches, one that sees Buddha as a god (with many many forms), and one that sees him as a role model of sorts (like a real person). There might be a difference in Indian Buddhism and Eastern Asian Buddhism. Anyway, there's a difference in the reverence of Buddha among many Buddhists.

I think my mom sees him as a god. She thinks he actually has some control over our lives. I just see him (his lessons, more like it) as the ideal goal to achieve.

If I had to pick a religion to associate myself with, I'd pick Buddhism.