To all of the Brits here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whateverdude_09, Jan 7, 2009.

1. whateverdude_09

whateverdude_09 Registered Member

I have a question. of all the British rock and roll bands that America has seen over the years, do the British people like them at all, or did they come over to America because the crowd over there was a little too tough? for example The Who, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden and others.

and for people like say Amy Winehouse who is a slob by my standards, are the british people ashamed of her like i am ashamed of people like Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan?

another question, does the term "Brit" offend you typically? (if it does just say so and i'll change the title of this thread)

thank you for your answers.

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I'll let someone else answer that properly, but I can tell you that I love The Who :)

I don't keep up with celebrities so I couldn't really care less :lol: I'm not an Amy fan but she can do what she wants and I don't think its fair to say that I'm 'ashamed' of her. ... Pff I dunno, maybe a little :lol:

Doesn't offend me at all.

3. whateverdude_09

whateverdude_09 Registered Member

these questions have been burning in my head for a while now, and i thought, hey use GF!

thanks

i would type more but my computer network is on the fritz and it's freaking out right now.

4. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

Yes I do believe that the British people do like bands like that. I believe they were all quite popular. They wanted to "crack" America and go for the ultimate Rock Band repuation of being popular in America and Britian.

As for some of the British celebrities, I would say to an extent that I would be ashamed to say I come from the same country, they way that they act and think they can get away with it. I'm not going to name any of the celebrities that I have in mind.

The term "brit" does not offend me.

5. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I think they are popular here,but try to crack the American market for a couple of reasons. If they manage to break the American market ultimately they will have a larger fan base which equals higher sales of there music.
    I think a lot groups see the States as the home of Rock which is why there so keen to get there reputation going there.
    This is just my opinion
    I like all the bands you mention.

I am not to sure if people here are ashamed of the likes of Amy Winehouse,but i personally cant stand the woman and dont see why she keeps getting space in newspapers.

The term Brit does not bother me one bit,i have been called a lot worse over the years.

6. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Depends on the tastes of each citizen. I personally am an Iron Maiden fan, got into that phase during my teens and never actually grew out of it. Don't mind a little bit of Cradle of Filth, either, though I guess they don't count.

Not at all. She doesn't portray every person in Britan, nor is she the standard. I can say I think she's a cunt, though.

Nope, it's shorthand for British. I can only think of someone finding it offensive if they prefer to go by their actual county nationality. Myself, I find it more offensive being told I can't call myself English, because the PC twat brigade says so. Cunts.

RATTIE and English-Emo-Boy like this.
  7. Lemonv1

Lemonv1 Registered Member

I consider myself English and prefer to be called it, however I take no offence to being called a Brit because it's true. Same as I am European and a 'world-citizen'.

About the music, I can only reword what others have said. Hitting the big time in America, breaking America, and however else you wanna phrase it seems to be a big thing for many bands here. It's not necessarily because of rejection here.

8. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

Yes, those rock bands were loved and were massive over here. They all just wanted a piece of the big time in America.

I couldn't give a shit about Amy Winehouse. She doesn't represent everyone in the UK, she's just a wast of time.

I don't mind being called a 'brit', it's better then being called a 'tosser'.

9. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Well, I love bands like The Who and Iron Maiden, and I think there are a lot of people who do here. They just wanted a slice of a bigger pie, that's all, and most bands considef America to be the Big Cheese(cake, lol) for rock.

Again, I for one despise Amy Winehouse with a passion; I must admit that the urge to destroy her burns within me. However, I would in no way say that she represents Britain, as she's just an ugly slag. Of course, there are a lot of ugly slags, so maybe she represents that small portion of Britain. And maybe the chavs, too.

Chiefly, she represents everything that I (and most civilised British people) am not.

The term 'Brit' doesn't offend me, but I do much prefer being called Welsh. The problem with 'British' is that it makes most non-British people think 'English'.

Not that there's anything wrong with England, of course, even if she isn't as incredible as her Celtic neighbours. :lol:

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

They were big over here as well. The majority of bands from all genres try and crack the foreign markets. British Rock generally does well in the States but for every one we export, 100's die trying. I think why that genre has done well in general is that it is very similar to the west coast rock scene.

I am not ashamed of her, I think she should be ashamed of herself though.

Nope, Brit is acceptable, it can mean British or Briton, I am proud to be one ......but not so much the other. So I think the word Brit works best for both circles. It also aids in the confusion of the home nationalities where you can really offend if you get it wrong.