Tiny step in the right direction for Obama

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Why, exactly, is this a step in the right direction? or did you mean a step in the Right direction? Because those of us who are truly Leftist know that Obama is about as Centrist as they come.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Everything that I've read this morning looks really good. I would have liked to seen Bristol Bay opened to limited drilling, but I understand leaving it untouched and I doubt it would ever get drilled even if it was open.

Well done, President Obama.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
@ Jeanie: A step in the right direction because cheap energy fuels robust economies.

Don't worry though, I will not be suprised if they use the decrease in core costs to justify and/or hide higher taxes. For example: gas price drops $1 a gallon, add "carbon" tax of $1 to fund big government and move toward that left agenda with stealth and political cover.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
The point is that some argue it is a "necessary evil" to take the pressure off of energy costs in order to make the transition to alternative energy, which is the real goal for everyone.

The drilling may even buy some time until newer, safer, cleaner nuclear plants are opened to take the burden off of people. Many environmentalists are actually supporting opening these nuclear plants.

Oil drilling should not be encouraged, and when it is done we should look remorsefully upon it as a testament to our stubborn, self-destructive, and ignorant ways.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
Eh not a big fan of drilling like this...if it is ultimately a part of a transition into alternative energy and away from oil, I could be ok with it.

By the way, since this is the Political News section, why is the title an editorial statement, Smilin? What about people who think this is a step in the wrong direction? Or what about those of us who thought Healthcare was a huge step in the right direction? I mean, "tiny step in the right direction?"

Can't we just discuss the story itself without the title being partisan?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
@ Steg: In order to make a transition first we must have viable, cost effective alternatives. When speaking of motor vehicles those simply do not exist. I don't believe that the use of gasoline powered vehicles is ignorant nor self-destructive.

@ Unity: Because I wrote it. I did so to attract attention and encourage discussion and debate, which seems to have worked. Others can choose the titles for the threads they start and since I have my own perspective I will select the title of my choice. We can discuss the story regardless of the title I selected. Those with differing opinions are free to bring them into the discussion as well.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
@ Steg: In order to make a transition first we must have viable, cost effective alternatives. When speaking of motor vehicles those simply do not exist. I don't believe that the use of gasoline powered vehicles is ignorant nor self-destructive.
Certainly I do not suggest changing the infrastructure over night. I was just lamenting the fact that we feel we still have to expand our drilling efforts to use fossil fuels to make that transition, rather than cutting back energy use and using it more conservatively immediately.

By, "ignorant and self-destructive," I mean to say that it is always important to remind people to not get too excited about more oil. Yes, it takes the pressure off for a minute or so, but not without great negative impacts. It is kind of like when people are being thrifty with their money during hard times--the minute there is a little bit more cash in one's pocket, generally human nature is to get overexcited and go out and spend a lot--thus landing them back in debt. This is what I mean--an infrastructure based on oil is unsustainable, self-destructive in terms of pollution and the environment, and ignorant in that it ignores conservative use of energy and an impetus towards alternative energy. Should we use gasoline-powered vehicles right now? Yes, we have no real choice. We just should make sure that we keep the main goal of alternative energy and conservation in mind.