Tiny nuclear plants

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Hyperion Power Generation

This is just amazing technology. A small nuclear power source buried deep in the ground that puts out enough power for 20,000 average homes for 7 years. Essentially a nuclear powered battery. The waste after 5 years would be the size of a softball. Incredible.

PentaCube

Registered Member
nuclear power is one of the safest power sources we have, when you consider there has only been one incident in the United States, and that was three mile island, in which nobody was killed. The only reason the whole Chernobyl incident happened was because they were running unsafe tests, while ignoring safety regulations on the reactors. There have been more people killed due to corn silo explosions than nuclear power plant accidents in the US.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Well, the thing is encased in a lot of concrete and according to the website even if it is compromised, it will only pour out on the ground. And, you know, kill everybody within 500 feet. They talk about providing power for less than .10/kwh which is not ground-shaking, but is rather cheap.

PentaCube

Registered Member
So what happens when people want to discard the waste materials?
I think it's pretty obvious we shoot the nuclear waste softballs into space. But really, it does seem like a cleaner solution than what we are doing at the moment, granted we will need to make the final push to complete solar or wind sooner or later, but it would be one of the more viable stalls.

I think it's pretty obvious we shoot the nuclear waste softballs into space. But really, it does seem like a cleaner solution than what we are doing at the moment, granted we will need to make the final push to complete solar or wind sooner or later, but it would be one of the more viable stalls.
Shooting them into space would be safer but that'd be pretty expensive too.

Rectify88

Registered Member
You cold have one place for all of them. Or in each city there will be one spot where they would all go and then you pipe out the energy. This way it can be monitored alot easier, since every thing comes from one source.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I didn't see it on the website, but read somewhere that the waste could actually be reused for further low grade energy extraction. I have family that works in the field and I know that eventually they turn it into glass and bury it deep in the group.