• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Tiny $9 computer

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
RT said:
A $9 computer created in California, does everything any average family PC is supposed to do including surfing, programming and entertainment. The tiny gadget has raised more than $1.5 million on Kickstarter – 30 times more than its developers asked for.
Tiny $9 computer CHIP rocks Kickstarter, promising tons of free apps

Its so small you could carry your computer in your pocket. Of course the keyboard and monitor would be full size, wouldn't think you could its so small.

I'm not sure if I would like this, not crazy about a laptop, I like the full size computers but at least with this everyone could afford one.

Thoughts?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Brilliant idea, think of what this could mean to underprivileged, third world countries etc. Very cool I hope they are successful with this.

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
Anything which makes the Internet more accessible to the world's poor can only be a good thing.

As a vehicle of education and expression the Net is unsurpassed in human history.
We in the West often forget that many in the world not only have no voice, but only 'hear' one side. So, here's to freeing minds!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Most people could come up with $9. You can get a used keyboard for a $1 and a monitor for a couple of dollars. At least you can here. Would be no reason everyone couldn't have access to the internet. Well that is if they can afford the monthly fee. Here that can be expensive.

Stego

Registered Member
Viva la Linux.

This is the right direction. The practical applications are endless so long as the infrastructure gets established around the world.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Good call. Wrong OS. Unless poor people have friends in IT.
Some hacking required to set up Linux right? Its a huge part of what some people call the "internet nightmare". So maybe IT dropouts?

Anyway with only 1 Ghz, and a 4 Gb SS HDD any user will have to live in the cloud... a very slow moving cloud. But hey there are lots of free WiFi zones so at least they wont have to pay for that.

And it is a step foreward for anyone that wants a totally portable PC when they travel.
Lmk when it can do anything a Samsung Galaxy tablet can do. :D That totally would be a step into the future.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sure at some point they will improve these so they will be even faster. Wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft made software for this at some point in the future. In the meantime they will give people access to the internet that couldn't afford a more expensive computer.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Yeah its really cool that poor people will have more internet access but there will be other issues to deal with.

1. More internet traffic for crowded servers.
2. Servers will probaly have to make expensive upgrades to deal with all the new traffic.
3. Easier access for terrorists.
4. The NSA will need massive upgrades to store all the new data.
5. More hacking and more chances for new viruses to happen. Especially if a lot of the new users are ex-IT or IT wanna-bes.

I totally will be all over the news to see what happens.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think a lot of servers need to upgrade anyway. Many internet companies have been overselling for a long time.

Don't care if the NSA can't keep up with it.

Ex IT or wanna-bes probably already have access to the internet even on small devices.