• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Times are changing...

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Today I noticed something really, really, strange on Twitter.

I seen a few TSN personalities posting things in favor of the Montreal Canadiens. I guess they too are getting tired of the Maple Leafs. Hopefully it means more screen time for teams like the Habs, Jets and Canucks who are all having some impressive seasons. Man, wouldn't it be great if all 7 teams got the same stroke of the brush? ;)

(P.S. One Leaf "Celebrity" already gave up on them this week. Daniel Negreanu posted that he's jumping on the Jets bandwagon)

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Don't get ahead of yourself buddy. With the Trade Deadline coming up, it's going to be "how and who can the Leafs get rid of". The off season is going to be even worst with Nonis' firing, finding a new coach...will Babcock come to Toronto, and who will they draft. You just wait and see :lol:

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
While I'm certain not a major hockey fan I still don't grasp how there aren't more teams in Canada since its the sport that seems to be the most over in that whole country. Too many U.S. teams in markets that don't give a damn honestly. Glad the Canadian franchises are getting more love from the media there.

OlTimeBaseball

Registered Member
BourneofDarkness15 said:
While I'm certain not a major hockey fan I still don't grasp how there aren't more teams in Canada since its the sport that seems to be the most over in that whole country. Too many U.S. teams in markets that don't give a damn honestly. Glad the Canadian franchises are getting more love from the media there.
I think because Canada does not have as many major cities. I can't off the top of my head think of a major city in Canada with high population that does not have a team.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
OlTimeBaseball said:
BourneofDarkness15 said:
I think because Canada does not have as many major cities. I can't off the top of my head think of a major city in Canada with high population that does not have a team.
Yep. 35M or so total population. USA has 10 times ours.

Majority of Canadian cities are at 1M or so population with a couple exceptions. The love of hockey in Canada is also diminishing in % per population also. 7 Canadian teams to 23 American teams is pretty good considering they have 10 times the population. I think Canada can go as high as 10 teams but it would be pushing the limits. 6 is great, 8 is comfortable but 10 is ... ahhhhhh uhmmm...

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I know it would be hard for any Canadian city to support a second team; even Montreal. They talk in Toronto like it's possible, but they forget that most of their big outlying areas (Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa) already have teams. The Maple Leafs do well because they're the Maple Leafs, the fans obviously don't care about how good a team they are to support them