Time

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by pro2A, Jun 4, 2010.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

There are really no words for this, but I found this video very interesting about space time. Please give yourself about 30 minutes to watch it.

YouTube - When Will Time End?

It really puts things into perspective.

2. stevenfermi

stevenfermi Registered Member

Time is a very interesting concept. Time is finite, maybe, depending on what interpretation of the universe's finale. Always an interesting but depressing thing to think about.

3. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I can't even conceptualize time being finite (either being something that had a beginning, or that will ever end). I've heard Christians say that God created time, and I've heard atheists/agnostics say that time started with the Big Bang - but both of those statements seem absurd to me. It seems to me that even if the universe were to end, that time would keep on.

Although the theory that if you approach lightspeed time slows down also seems absurd to me, so what do I know, right?

4. stevenfermi

Well, in terms of physics, time is a dimension in itself, like space. If Space is limited, by definition so is Time itself. We cannot conceive Time as finite since finite is measured in Time, and if Time ends, then all definition of finite is gone too. But Time has an ending, although the ending will never be reached in time. :D

The latter, time dilation, is an established fact. Basically, the faster you go, the more time slows down relative to you. For example, if you travel at 90% of the speed of light, if you travel for x years, those not traveling will feel time pass by much quicker. When you reach the speed of light, however, time itself stops (light does not feel time). Light itself doesn't feel time, and I'm guessing if a photon became conscious it would perceive time in the same way we perceive space.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Is space actually limited? And even if space is limited, I'm not sure that necessarily means time would be as well. Humans label things for convenience - that doesn't force them to conform to our expectations (or to conform to other things we've labeled similarly).

I'm not sure it is a fact - I remember hearing something recently about a new discovery that casts doubt on relativity. Google "theory of relativity wrong" and there are a lot of results (not sure if they're any good though :dunno:).

6. stevenfermi

Well, for the last one, my counter argument is you can do the same for evolution, or even the roundness of Earth and get sites trying to disprove them. Until they make a viable theory to explain cosmological processes like relativity, I trust Einstein. :D

Space may or may not be limited. Even if it is limited, it isn't like you run into a barrier; being in space itself, it never ends relative to you. Like, if you reach the side of the universe, you would just keep traveling in a straight line relative to your perception, like a marble instead a very, very slightly curved ball.

Time, being a dimension, is intertwined in space. Without space there is no non-abstract version of time. If the universe ended tomorrow, any amount of time between x and y event would be meaningless, since there is no more x and y. We measure time relative to events that occur, like the number of (something) of a caesium atom, or even the Earth's rotation around the Sun. So, Time, even if it wasn't connected to space, would end in the sense of any general meaning.

But, we are sure it is intertwined with space by the theory of frame-dragging, or even gravity itself. Frame-dragging states that an object spinning on its axis drags space and time around it, like a top spinning in a pool of water. However, to actually time-travel you would need an infinitely long Tipler cylinder, so...

Gravity, regulated by the unknown gauge boson the graviton, distorts space and time. If space and time are like a sheet, gravity is when you drop any object on to it--it bends space and time under it. This means that the more gravity you have, the slower time goes. Like, in or on the event horizon of a black hole, time stops itself, at least relative to any external viewer.

7. faith1806

faith1806 Registered Member

well, about time, i don't know what to say,but to tell the truth, i feel that time goes by so quickly.

8. PhoenixOverdrive

PhoenixOverdrive Registered Member

You can change that, you know. Time is subjective inasmuch as it affects us individuals, and it's not a constant. Think of the last time you stood in line for five minutes or that you were on a great date and you'll know what I mean. Things don't have to be crappy for time to slow or awesome for time to speed up, but you get the idea. It's something you can take control over. I plan to take this to the limits, and count the raindrops as they fall, slowly and inexorably, to the ground.

As for the universe, like Wade I don't believe time, or the universe, to be finite. I don't think anything is finite, actually. The Big Bang is still misunderstood as an act of creation, while I find evidence points to it being a reorganization of what was there. The concept of things having a beginning and an end is human fantasy, and really only applies to form anyways, which is subjective. A building can crash down and crumble, but all of it is still there. The heat your car tires release adds to what's around. Everything is just converted into something else.

There's no reason for the universe to have such things as a beginning and an end. Time itself is there so that things can be sequential. Once entropy kicks in full-tilt boogie and we can only rely on gravity to keep functioning, I have a feeling the universe will just Big Bang again. Why not? The energy isn't 'lost'. Nothing is.