Time vs. Money

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
As I find myself getting ready to dive into some summer classes while I job-hunt for my after-college graduation entry-level job, I am suddenly more destitute than ever but also more flexible on time. So I wondered about other folks:

Q: At what sort of state in your life are you currently—the kind where you have more money than time or more time than money?

(Follow-up: Which do you prefer?)

Nice thread idea!

If I ignore that fact that I have exams coming up in 10 days and am trying to learn everything from scratch, then I definitely have more time than money right now. I mean, I'm fine for money, but I really do have buckets of free time. The school year will be over after exams and I have things planned but won't be doing a whole lot on a day-to-day basis. Not a busy person at all.

Follow up: I like how it is right now. But that's a nice mixture of both so I guess I have to pick one or the other. :shifteyes: I suppose I'll go with time, because I really don't like having a full schedule.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I have more money than time. I don't have a lot of free time, between work, family, working out and volunteer work I don't have much free time.

JessEpiphany

Registered Member
There was a time when we had very little money and all kinds of time.
Then we had all kinds of money and no time (because we had to work so much overtime to get the money.)
Now? We're short on both, somehow!

I can't really say I have a preference. I deal with it all... each has it's ups and downs. Just another part of life. :)

Bananas

Endangered Species
I have a lot of free time. I might put in on average 5-6 hours of work in a day, but I do so at my own leisure. Someimes I dont work for days and other occasions I might put a lot of hours in.
Money, I have enough to not want to do more of the above.

Im of the opinion we only live once so we should enjoy our time here. This morning for example I'll go for a stroll over the hills/forests/fields for a couple of hours. actually I do that every morning because its what I like to do. The alternative is to work for a few extra hours and earn money I dont really need....and what would I spend that money on, a walking vacation in the summer or something! why setle for 7 days of happiness when you can have 365?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Just like Bex, If I ignore the exams I'm having next month, can I say I'm having both time and money?

I'm having time because I'm good at wasting it, instead of studying for the exams.
So, objectively - I have more money than time.
Subjectively - I'm having them both.

I'd prefer to have more time. Because over time you can make more money.

Last edited:

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
As I find myself getting ready to dive into some summer classes while I job-hunt for my after-college graduation entry-level job, I am suddenly more destitute than ever but also more flexible on time. So I wondered about other folks:

Q: At what sort of state in your life are you currently—the kind where you have more money than time or more time than money?

(Follow-up: Which do you prefer?)
I've been there.
...I recall going to school full time and working two evening part time jobs to support myself, I had 0 time to myself and 0 cash to spare! My parents offered to help out but I was too stubborn and insisted I do it myself, lol. It was rough, I assure you.
Eventually, (after graduation and landing a decent job), I was able to find an even, healthy ballance of time and money; then I bought my very first house and had to be careful with my out-goings again. Then I changed jobs, had to sell my house, rented again because my job had me travel around the US quite often...blahblahblah...then found myself wanting to move back home to MA. I went back home (jobless / too much time on my hands and with some money to spare), moved back in with my mother and step-father until I found a job and bought my second home, settled in, had a decent income but found that I had no time to myself again or enough time to enjoy my new home; this is where I thought to myself (on several occasions), "I'd much rather watch my pennies than have zero free time".
...Blahblahblah...
I went a couple years living like that until I met my husband. Now, to make a very long story short with ups and downs included, I'm now over in the UK with a husband and child and find that everything is even keel, though sometimes I do wish we had more time together during the week.

To answer your question: I prefer ballance than one over the other.:D

More time than money, definitely - this is the reason I Google for random forums to post on. I am currently at school, where I get approx, two homeworks a week that I can just do in class.
I prefer time. Time is good. Money's only uses are to buy drugs and things for your hobbys (e.g: new guitar picks, new skateboard) and why do any of these things? To be sociable. We are dependant on others so much that in prison people take you away from the crazy rapists for a week as a punishment. Yes we are dependant, and without time to be with others, what is all the money in the world going to do for you?
That's my opinion anyway.