Time to lock away the guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
There have been a lot of gun threads lately. The idea has been proposed for a gun related forum somewhere, perhaps all encompassing but at least SOMETHING that would cover a good deal of the gun threads.

Sure the simple answer is "Make a gun sub-forum". Yeah, obviously.

But, what should the title be, where should it go?

Two situations and problems come to mind. There are two types of gun threads. Gun LAW threads, and "Hey check out my new gun" threads.

We'd almost need two separate forums under different areas of GF to correctly categorize these threads. I don't think we necessarily need two gun subforums though.

So, post yours ideas. Where would a gun subforum fit best, and what should it entail?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
If anything it should be a gun laws sub forum in MD somewhere. We definitely don't need a new forum for "I got a new gun" type threads.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
11:52:42 PM El Jefe: i'm starting to think we might want to think about adding a gun forum somewhere, some people are beginning to think those threads need to be fenced in instead of roaming free
11:53:10 PM Andrew Mackay: I used to oppose it philsophically, but I'm tired of pro2a hijacking multiple boards feeding his obsession.
11:53:29 PM El Jefe: the only question is where would it go
11:53:30 PM Andrew Mackay: slot it under Political Theory, if you ask me
11:53:35 PM Andrew Mackay: or otherwise in Lifestyle
11:53:40 PM Andrew Mackay: if you want to ram another sub-board there
11:53:53 PM Andrew Mackay: I think Poli Theory would probably be the best containment though
11:54:07 PM Andrew Mackay: if it was elsewhere people would still probably post threads in Poli Theory
11:54:14 PM El Jefe: well maybe but that wouldn't cover "hey look at my new gun" threads
11:55:11 PM Andrew Mackay: Under Other is the other option
11:55:24 PM Andrew Mackay: since Other tends be both serious and not
11:56:05 PM El Jefe: it will bug me until i can think of a perfect solution
11:56:18 PM Andrew Mackay: there really isn't one
11:56:25 PM El Jefe: i am a fan of hiearchy and organization in bullet outlines
11:56:29 PM Andrew Mackay: I don't want it anywhere near General or Lifestyle really
11:56:37 PM El Jefe: yeah i agree
11:56:40 PM Andrew Mackay: because I don't want to see Outdoors, Parenting, Guns
11:56:50 PM Andrew Mackay: I think it has to stay in Mature
11:56:54 PM Andrew Mackay: so pick your poison
11:57:11 PM El Jefe: hahaha
11:57:17 PM El Jefe: outdoors, parenting, school, guns..
11:57:23 PM Andrew Mackay: Yeah
11:57:29 PM Andrew Mackay: it makes us look like a survivalist forum.
11:57:30 PM El Jefe: kind of counterproductive
11:57:57 PM El Jefe: maybe there is a broader category than just "guns"
11:58:09 PM El Jefe: something that would encompass guns but also fit into a wider spectrum
11:58:39 PM El Jefe: and no I don't mean "Weapons"
11:59:03 PM Andrew Mackay: Not really
11:59:09 PM Andrew Mackay: the gun threads run a gamut
11:59:32 PM Andrew Mackay: I just say let's go with Guns and see if there's a logical expansion point some time down the road
Conversation I just had with Hybrix on the subject.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
But read the chat log Kaz posted.

We don't necessarily want Lifestyle > Outdoors, Parenting, School, Guns.......

I mean.. ;)

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
"I got a new gun" types should be in subtalk.

Gun laws or related crimes and discussion of such could be in MD. Maybe Other Discussions, subforum Guns. While most of them are about laws because it will always relate to the 2nd amendment, some are about effects or stories about misuse of guns.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
"I got a new gun" types should be in subtalk.

Gun laws or related crimes and discussion of such could be in MD. Maybe Other Discussions, subforum Guns. While most of them are about laws because it will always relate to the 2nd amendment, some are about effects or stories about misuse of guns.
This.

WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I agree that the "I got a new gun" threads should be in subtalk if there is no gun forum. I think as big as a topic that guns are here there should be a forum for it. As to where to put it, I'll leave that up to the experts. =) I think there should be a seperate forum for guns and hunting though. As some people might be interested in guns, but don't want to see dead animals or don't agree with guns being used for hunting.

Bjarki

Registered Member
1 thread for discussing whether guns are cool.
1 thread for discussing whether guns should be legal.
1 blog for showing off.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
But read the chat log Kaz posted.

We don't necessarily want Lifestyle > Outdoors, Parenting, School, Guns.......

I mean.. ;)
Ya we all know guns and kids are like chlorine and ammonia :rolleyes: I really hope this is not a way to silence pro-gun people (this was my first impression), by stuffing us in the corner and telling us to "stay over there and don't come out". I'm sure a lot of the anti-gunners would like that, but guns are still a political issue that I find just as important as the economy and the war.

EDIT: Make a gun sub forum and I can get a ton more members :) Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.