• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Time to load up on comics!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've been hearing lately that now is the time to buy comics. (Most from Nightsurfer lol) ;)

What ones are the ones I should look for right now?

I think I want to get some more Spiderman or Batman comics. Is the market right to buy those right now?

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Hi ya.

Yes the market is ripe for the picking.:D

I have been picking off Golden age comics real cheap. Like Superman, Batman,Spider-man, X-Men.

Silver age is ripe too. Batman, Hulk, Silver Surfer and FF4

Then there is modern age 1980-to now. All the short timere are selling off their stashes real cheap.

Hell I just picked up an original Batman golden age for 13.00 it's worth is over 2,000 they just didn't know what they had, and I ain't telling them that!

All major titles except Spawn or Image comics. Todd pissed off his fans and now they won't buy his stuff.

Just do your research before you buy.

But to answer your question Andrew I would Pick off any Stan Lee art(original Spider-man and X-Men and original Marvel art work) that you can get your hands on. When he kicks off they will be wort BANK!

Spidey is a safe investment,He will go even higher when
they kill him off next year :-o******(inside tip)*********
And no there will be no spider-man 4. :nod:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I added a spoiler to that.. Nice info! :)

I think I will go for some X-Men too. Batman, Spiderman and X-Men are my favorites for sure.

Too bad I wouldn't be buying them to read lol! The ones I bought a few years ago are still safe in their plastic sleeves and have not been taken out for any reason! :D

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Right now is the time to buy All the silver and Bronze age comics that you can before they go way up in value.

I have started to noticing a low selling trend in Silver and Bronze aged comics.

The boomer's are selling off their stashes (Cheap) to try and raise money for retirement or just to get the clutter out.

I've been picking off comics left and right. All high dollar comics, I got most of them for a buck a book.

There loads of killer deals out there, my favorite playground (eBay) if full of sellers right now just dieing to get rid of their comics cause they think they will never go back up in value.

Their stupidy....I mean their loss is your gain.

I just picked off a complete Silver Age "Iron Man" set for 200 bucks. It's value is way over 40 grand when parted out, When the movie hits they will sky rocket in value and then I will sell them off in pieces and keep what I need.

Turbo

Registered Member
i'm not looking to sell but i'm curious about the pricing of some comic books i have. if i listed them could you guys give me estimates?

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Sure. :cool:
what do you have, What issue, What's the print #, and what condition are they in?
Do you keep them Bagged and Backed?
Last but not least...Just how many comics you talking about?

Turbo

Registered Member
i have a lot, but only recall issues of certain ones.
in baggy means with cardboard backing

I know I own:

THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN - regular baggy, not the black bag

the one after the above that came in the white bag and one in a regular baggy

THE FOUR SEPARATE SUPERMAN after the above - in baggy

THE 6 ISSUE SPECIAL EDITION DAREDEVIL - in baggy; released early 90s; raised artwork on the covers

BEAVIS AND BUTT-HEAD ISSUES 1-10 from marvel - in baggy

STREET FIGHTER all 3 issues, only was 3 - in baggy

thats all i know off the top, sorry if its not detailed but i have them away

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
dude,

I sincerely cannot thank you enough for this tip. I am an ex-comic aficionado so I have some sense of what to buy. The stock market in in the toilet and will be there for all of 2008. It's too late to be in commodities. I have been wondering for a while where to go. I am going to do my research, but if I can get quality Silver Age at a few bucks a pop, I will do that all day long. I don't view this as kid's stuff - this is a real investment like gold coins and rare paintings. thanks.

Right now is the time to buy All the silver and Bronze age comics that you can before they go way up in value.

I have started to noticing a low selling trend in Silver and Bronze aged comics.

The boomer's are selling off their stashes (Cheap) to try and raise money for retirement or just to get the clutter out.

I've been picking off comics left and right. All high dollar comics, I got most of them for a buck a book.

There loads of killer deals out there, my favorite playground (eBay) if full of sellers right now just dieing to get rid of their comics cause they think they will never go back up in value.

Their stupidy....I mean their loss is your gain.

I just picked off a complete Silver Age "Iron Man" set for 200 bucks. It's value is way over 40 grand when parted out, When the movie hits they will sky rocket in value and then I will sell them off in pieces and keep what I need.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
i have a lot, but only recall issues of certain ones.
in baggy means with cardboard backing

I know I own:

THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN - regular baggy, not the black bag

the one after the above that came in the white bag and one in a regular baggy

THE FOUR SEPARATE SUPERMAN after the above - in baggy

THE 6 ISSUE SPECIAL EDITION DAREDEVIL - in baggy; released early 90s; raised artwork on the covers

BEAVIS AND BUTT-HEAD ISSUES 1-10 from marvel - in baggy

STREET FIGHTER all 3 issues, only was 3 - in baggy

thats all i know off the top, sorry if its not detailed but i have them away
I will give this a shot. I could be way off here, I am not the comic book genius NightSurfer is.

These comics were all at the height of comic popularity. Comics such as Spiderman drawn by McFarland were selling million+ copies every month. People were buying 4 and 5 copies of anything they thought was 'hot'. Comic book companies were happy to rake in the money and would sell single issues with 4 or 5 different covers. So, what does that mean today? These comics are almost worthless. There are so many of the 'hot' comics from the late 80's and early 90's around. There is zero buyer's market because the buyers either have them already or are not interested in fad comics.

Sorry to disappoint, maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Hi ya...

You are correct Spence. The Hot comics form the 90's and 2000 are not going to go up in value very fast and won't go up fast.

The Boom killed their value.

Now Gold, Silver and Bronze age comics are holding their value and are slowly starting to rise.

It will be hard to say when comics will make a rebound, But if you purchase any of the G,S,B age comics it is a safe bet..Now remember that this is a long range projection. Not a short term investment.

It could take another 10 to 15 years before their value is at the full amount again.

OK on the prices you asked for Turbo..

Death of Superman Clear Bag: $3.50-$8.50 Depending on condition

Superman # 500: $2.50 -$5.50 Depending on condition

Superman 501-504: $15.00-$35.00 Depending on condition

**********Now remember these helped kick off the buying craze*********

I need more info on Dare Devil there was more than one series running at that time.

The Beavis and Butthead comic set 1-10: $10.00-$20.00 Depending on condition

Street Fighter comics set: $4.50-$8.50 depending on condition

Hope that helped...

Last edited: