Time Lapsed "Speed Painting" Videos

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Have you guys seen these time lapsed screen recordings of people who create digital masterpieces on YouTube? Here are a few of the better ones I have seen. The first four are all done by the same guy:

YouTube - GHOST WHISPERER - Speed Painting by Nico Di Mattia

YouTube - SPIDER-MAN Speed Painting by Nico Di Mattia

YouTube - MEGAN FOX - speedpainting by Nico Di Mattia

YouTube - BUMBLEBEE - Speed Painting by Nico Di Mattia

YouTube - SPEED PAINTING - Scarlett Johansson by mediamaster

YouTube - Speed Painting Photorealism... Again.

YouTube - Digital Painting Photo-Realism Again

I got inspired by these videos and have now been working on one of these myself. So far I am about 4 hours in. I estimate it will take me up to 10 or so to finish it. I am recording it session by session and hope to speed up the completed process into a video like these.

Last edited:

wolfheart

Registered Member
Those are amazing, I only dream of being able to do something like that.
I am interested to see you your finished piece Hybrix.

Yeah I love those things, I could watch them for hours. In fact, the only channel I'm subscribed to on youtube is a time lapsed speed painting one.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
This is the first time I've seen "speed painting". That Nico di Mattia is really good. I like the way he does the faces (I wonder if he'll make a good make up artist too, haha) especially the eyes.

Trizzle

Registered Member
I always loved what could be done on paint. I used to do alterations for pixel games and get some money for the graphics designs, now I just stick with signiture making, but awsome videos man.:nod:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Those are amazing, I only dream of being able to do something like that.
I am interested to see you your finished piece Hybrix.
Just an update on this. I'm still working on it. I'm about 7 hours into mine now. It's the first one I've attempted so it takes a bit longer. I'll condense it into a few minutes though so it should be comparable to the ones in the OP by the time I'm finished.

wolfheart

Registered Member
How many more hours are you going to put into it?.
I have a problem of never being happy with I have done, other people may look and say to me that looks good but I always look at a drawing I have done and think I could add some shade here, remove some from there, do this do, that kind of thing.

I cant imagine what I would be like with the gear that those guys are using I would never be away from the computer!.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Really all you need is Photoshop and a a tablet such as one of these:

Wacom Intuos4 - Product Overview

They range from under $100 to a few hundred for a bigger one.

Anyway, I think I will put 2-4 more hours into it. It's hard to be sure since I haven't done one of these before but based on the progress I have made so far my guess is no more than 10 hours total. The trick is finding the motivation to sit down and go for it for several hours at a time. Usually I get a good hour in and need to take a break. It's actually a little nervewracking to draw on video because you find yourself being extra careful so the video looks good instead of just doing what comes naturally.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I would be really interested in seeing your work, because it would add a connection since I know you. Plus, I love stuff like this. I envy the patience and just plain talent that goes into these.

Also, spiderman<3

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would have been done with it by now but the last few days have been hectic *ahem*. I hope to have it up next week sometime though. :D

I'm about 8 hours in now.