Politics Time for some Cool-AId.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
The Donald said:
Where I could stand in the middle of Fifth avenue and shoot somebody and not lose any voters.
Is it true? It seems to me that the American people have been drinking the Trump cool-aid. Can Trump do anything wrong at this point? Is he above the law? Does anyone care that he's a crook? Should he be allowed to unilaterally order acts of war against other countries without legal justification? Should he be allowed to withhold security assistance to an allied country until they agree to get involved in the presidents personal or domestic matters? Should he be allowed to do whatever he wants as president without consequence?

Let's look at your political hero and savior for a moment. Putting aside for the moment the accusations for which he is currently standing trial, putting aside his decision to paint targets on US troops serving in Iraq so he could strike down one man with fire and fury despite the recommendations of his own staff and advisors just to settle a personal score. Let's put aside his locker room talk and apparent racism, his tax and charity fraud, and the fact that he's a malignant narcissist, and just look at what he's accomplished to "make America great again".

Trump promised to bring jobs back to the US. What he did was to start a trade war with the world, not exempting allies. Retaliatory tariffs have forced many US companies to downsize, relocate operations overseas, or just fold, resulting in massive layoffs and a huge hit to the US economy (and that of it's allies).

Trump promised a wall along the US/Mexico boarder, swearing that Mexico would pay for it "and like it". What he did was to declare a state of emergency to justify appropriating (a nice way of saying stealing) $8 Billion from pre-existing programs, and of course lest we forget the government shut-down that resulted in over 800,000 government workers being forced to work without pay for over a month.

What about GDP growth over Trump's reign? Well, it's no different than what Obama accomplished before him. So what about the Federal Deficit? Well, Trump follows the trend of Republican presidents and rising deficits, but Republicans would likely argue that it's purely coincidental.

Well surely Trump's fervor to deregulate has had some positive effect. Well since killing the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, banks and financial institutions have returned to the same practices that lead up to the economic crisis of 2008. Does anyone remember that? I think the vast majority of Republicans, or maybe Americans in general, have selective Amnesia. The important thing is sub-prime mortgages are back, and even business loan equivalents. Let's really bugger the economy. Oh but wait, what other pesky regulations has he turfed?

• Nullification of a rule prohibiting the possession of firearms by the mentally ill.
  • A rule requiring the humane treatment of "certified organic" animals.
  • Nullification of a rule allowing class action lawsuits against banks and credit card companies to resolve financial disputes.
  • Nullification of a rule to improve federal contractor compliance with labor laws.
  • A rule requiring disclosure of chemicals and other details of fracking operations.
  • Nullification of guidance prohibiting car dealers from charging higher interest rates based on race.
  • A rule requiring financial professionals who work with retirement assets or provide retirement planning advice to act in the best interest of their clients.
  • Nullification of a rule requiring resource extraction issuers to disclose information about payments made to the U.S. government or foreign governments for the purposes of commercial development of oil, natural gas, or minerals.
  • Withdrawal of policy on prosecuting energy companies that accidentally kill birds.
  • Nullification of a rule requiring internet service providers to explicitly obtain customers' approval to use and share their information.
  • Nullification of a rule to minimize the adverse effects of coal mining on streams and other water sources.
  • Withdrawal of technical support documents on implementing the "social cost of carbon" for regulatory impact analyses.
  • A rule requiring coal-burning power plants to reduce carbon emissions.
  • A rule establishing expansive definitions of nondiscrimination provisions in the Affordable Care Act.
  • Withdrawal of guidance on how the service recommends mitigating adverse impacts of developer actions on species and habitats.
... And the list goes on. Basically anything related to clean air or water, protection of wildlife or humane treatment of livestock, racial equality, or prevention of corporate skullduggery is repealed. That should save the US a few bucks here and there I suppose, but at what cost?

There is your political hero and savior. And you're going to re-elect the a-hole aren't you? Just to spite the Dems, in flagrant defiance of common sense you are going to re-elect him. You guys are just that hung up on party politics that the whole world can go to hell in a handbasket as long as the opposition goes with it. Well when you guys are reliving 2008 and have finally come to your senses, don't look to flee to the North. We're building a wall!

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
80% of my politics is determined by whomever will lower taxes and protect the life of the unborn.
Trump could be better on those 2 however, he's better than anyone in a long time and definitely superior to anyone running against him.
Find me a Democrat that says I will push a middle class tax cut and defund planned Parenthood and I would consider him/her also. But that's a unicorn.

Party affiliation does matter when the Democrat party platform says you can kill your kids up to 9 months. They've told me I'm not welcome.

Impaired

Registered Member
I just don't get Trump supporters. I don't know how you can look at this lying buffoon who tweets from an unsecured phone during intelligence briefings, appoints his kids to positions of power so they can assist him in getting every tax dollar they can.

He was caught defrauding charities, including a veteran's charity.

The GAO flatly said he broke the law with the Ukraine thing.

Trump is as Christian as Osama Bin Laden and yet Christians pretend he is not only their guy, but chosen by Jesus.

Trump cares about Trump. His tax cuts for the rich did not help the economy. They helped him and the people he cares about.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Because I pay less taxes at my job and my part time business.
Because my kids who are just entering the workforce have their pick of good jobs.
Because the federal judges he selectes are 10,000% better than what any Democrat would select.
Because he's done more for the pro life movement than anyone since Reagan.
Because there was a 3 year investigation that cost millions of dollars that concluded with, yes it actually was a hoax. Followed by a 6 month impeachment over a phone call that I've read 20 times and still can't figure out what the problem is.
Because he's funny as hell and can get under the skin of elitist, career politicians.

Impaired

Registered Member
You're sort of deluded. The tax cuts, were not for the middle class and have already been proven to have not helped the economy.

These 7 charts show Trump's tax cuts still haven't been the economic 'rocket fuel' he promised, 2 years after the fact | Markets Insider

A three year investigation (into a matter the GAO says he broke the law in doing) that when it came time for trial, was one where witnesses and evidence were not allowed.

The best part is the moment he was acquitted (this does not mean innocent) he tweeted a video of President for Life Trump.

I would have loved to watch your head explode if Obama had done any of these - or if he appointed family members to positions of power while make the tax payers pour money in to his properties, also against the law, but hey, who cares?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I don't understand taxes, I just plug it into taxact. But I know for a fact that I pay less. I think my bracket went down and standard deductions went up but I don't know the details.

I honestly think if Trump had done or is doing anything wrong Mueller would have discovered it. That was a long, expensive investigation.

It seems to me there are a lot of bad characters in the FBI, the state department and the previous administration. And we can all admit the Democrats in the house are just plain dumb.

And Obama was dirty. He started his presidency by flooding illegal guns into Mexico. He used the IRS to shut down opponents. Heck he illegally spied on Trump. Those years are behind us now, thankfully.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I'm not suggesting that those with right wing values should vote Democrat, but surely there must be a Republican candidate who has a shred of integrity. I mean, I reckon every Republican candidate is eager to dismantle Obama's baby killing legislation. I don't think the Republican big-wigs who are busy making Trump bullet proof understand that when (not if, but when) a Democrat eventually takes office, they will be every bit as bullet proof. They will be able to lie, cheat, threaten, extort, and swindle to their hearts content citing the precedents set during Trumps' reign, as will all future presidents.

Now, being Canadian, maybe I just don't understand American values in general. Perhaps integrity and credibility are not valued characteristics in a sitting president. Perhaps Americans don't value the safety of their serving military overseas. Perhaps the American people only care about short term tax breaks funded by deficits while long term economic stability is sacrificed to an unwinnable trade war and ill-conceived domestic economic policy. Perhaps Americans like recessions. Since Trump has done away with the checks and balances put in place during the Obama administration to prevent Wall Street from the behaviors that lead to the global economic meltdown of '08, bed debt has been flowing into the market like a Tsunami. Hooray for recessions! (I guess) ... Bravo for mass foreclosures! (I suppose)... Jobs? Household income? 1 in 5 Americans require food stamps to get by. This number will only grow as the fallout of Trumps' trade war continues to land on factories and businesses, and will grow substantially more when the bubble of bad debt being generated by wall street finally bursts. Yippee for poverty! (I guess). I personally don't look forward to recessions, deficits, and wounded soldiers, but what do I know? Perhaps in the US those are considered good things.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I'm not suggesting that those with right wing values should vote Democrat, but surely there must be a Republican candidate who has a shred of integrity. I mean, I reckon every Republican candidate is eager to dismantle Obama's baby killing legislation. I don't think the Republican big-wigs who are busy making Trump bullet proof understand that when (not if, but when) a Democrat eventually takes office, they will be every bit as bullet proof. They will be able to lie, cheat, threaten, extort, and swindle to their hearts content citing the precedents set during Trumps' reign, as will all future presidents.

Now, being Canadian, maybe I just don't understand American values in general. Perhaps integrity and credibility are not valued characteristics in a sitting president. Perhaps Americans don't value the safety of their serving military overseas. Perhaps the American people only care about short term tax breaks funded by deficits while long term economic stability is sacrificed to an unwinnable trade war and ill-conceived domestic economic policy. Perhaps Americans like recessions. Since Trump has done away with the checks and balances put in place during the Obama administration to prevent Wall Street from the behaviors that lead to the global economic meltdown of '08, bed debt has been flowing into the market like a Tsunami. Hooray for recessions! (I guess) ... Bravo for mass foreclosures! (I suppose)... Jobs? Household income? 1 in 5 Americans require food stamps to get by. This number will only grow as the fallout of Trumps' trade war continues to land on factories and businesses, and will grow substantially more when the bubble of bad debt being generated by wall street finally bursts. Yippee for poverty! (I guess). I personally don't look forward to recessions, deficits, and wounded soldiers, but what do I know? Perhaps in the US those are considered good things.

We're tired of "decent" polished politicians who don't do what they run on. For example, Republicans promised to end Obamacare but they refused to repeal it.. So Trump stripped the mandate penality and it's done. That's what Trump has done as a president and is why he's so liked.

As far as a recession, that was caused by people buying houses with no credit check or income verification and $4 gasoline. We don't have those problems. The US economy is on fire. We continue to add 200k jobs every month.
Things are good.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
When I was in college, I took a basic logic class. I loved that class. For our final, we got an opinion piece from a newspaper, and we had to identify each and every logical fallacy, and explain why it’s fallacious. That opinion piece had NOTHING on this OP. It has so many fallacies, my head started hurting just going through them all.

For example, just because someone voted for Trump that doesn’t mean he can do know wrong. Not all of us are like that. I most certainly am not. I voted for him in 2016, and judging by the idiots the Democrats have put up thus far, I intend to again November. That doesn’t mean Trump isn’t an idiot also, or I’ll support him if he shoots someone. That’s a strawman argument.

Your examples also are logically fallacious. The mentally ill cant buy guns legally. The recession of ‘08 wasn’t caused by what you think it was. My wife is a mortgage lender. Subprime mortgages are not back, and the kinds of deregulation Trump has enacted DIDN’T cause the recession.

You don’t know what you’re talking about. Your lack of economic understanding speaks volumes about the education in Canada. And build your wall, nobody cares🤣🤣🤣 Even the liberals that threatened to move to Canada if Trump won didn’t go. Maybe it will stop Canadians from coming here.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
You're sort of deluded. The tax cuts, were not for the middle class and have already been proven to have not helped the economy.

These 7 charts show Trump's tax cuts still haven't been the economic 'rocket fuel' he promised, 2 years after the fact | Markets Insider

A three year investigation (into a matter the GAO says he broke the law in doing) that when it came time for trial, was one where witnesses and evidence were not allowed.

The best part is the moment he was acquitted (this does not mean innocent) he tweeted a video of President for Life Trump.

I would have loved to watch your head explode if Obama had done any of these - or if he appointed family members to positions of power while make the tax payers pour money in to his properties, also against the law, but hey, who cares?
God, your reading comprehension skills are for shit. Your link doesn’t prove anything, it’s an opinion piece. It SPECIFICALLY SAYS it’s based on surveys. It’s not proof, it’s evidence. Flawed evidence, but evidence nonetheless.

Why would my head explode? Obama weaponized the IRS, he abused the 4th Amendment by spying on a presidential candidate, and my head didn’t explode. Giving his kids jobs is nothing compared to that.