Time for instant replay in Soccer

Discussion in 'Football / Soccer' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

What would be your thoughts if they added instant replay in soccer? It's a big issue now since the ref missed the call in the Germany/England game.

Would you be for it or against it?

Or would you be more satisfied if they just added another ref instead?

2. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

I was meaning to make this thread this morning but really busy with work and forgot.

I think for what happened in the England/Germany game they should review stuff like that. Things that are easy and would only take a minute or two to decide what the call is. You can't do it for every out of bounds play or every foul...that just wouldn't work.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I honestly believe ALL sports should have instant Replay.

Give the power to the Refs / Officials on the field but have that review team thats ALREADY in the booth watching the game on Monitors have the ability to say "woah... no no you botched that call".

The NFL is one of the only sports that I am aware of that I believe does this perfectly. The NHL is meh, Baseball is just in an Uproar about Replays, I dont know anything about Basketball and how their system works.

Thing is come on now... we're halfway through 2010 now, whats the deal? Lets just get all sports up to date and implement these replays. Its not a question of just Soccer... I'm talking all sports, when we've got Cell phones that are Technologically more stable than our Household PC's of 10 years ago.... I think its safe to say these Multi-Million Dollar sports Markets can spend a little money to adapt.

its time, plain and simple.

4. jack3456

jack3456 Registered Member

I agree with Icegoat. In tennis they have this technology that tells immediately if a ball is out when a player challenges a call. The players are limited in the number of times they use this. Sepp Blatter said his decision not to institute goal line technolody was because it wouldn't be economically viable at all levels of the game in all countries. Ridiculous. At Wimbledon they don't have the technology in the outer courts. How many football matches take place without a net in the goal, for instance.
    in the Europa league last season they had goal line assistant referees. That wasn't in every official FIFA match now was it? But a couple in every match this world cup, even that, would have made a difference in the England match. Who knows what effect an equaliser at that point would have made to the whole game?
    Sport in general may be a relatively trivial thing, but to many people it makes a difference to their mood, their performance at work and thus businesses and the economy in general. In 1966, even in 1990, as a result of England's performance, UK GDP went up. (True fanatics, and there are quite a lot, see their sport as a metaphor for life.) If Capello is sacked two years before his contract ends it will cost the FA 12 million sterling. In the Premiership, relegation costs a team some 30-40 million conservatively. Suppose relegation was decided by a dodgy goal line decision? Too much is at stake to still be at the mercy of human error.

5. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I was going to make a thread about this just now. Good thing I checked here first. :lol:

Sepp Blather just announced on our news that he has apologised to both England (goal disallowed) and Mexico (offside goal allowed to Argentine). This was followed by him announcing that FIFA is reconsidering this technology despite previous decisions to not bring this into the games. They also interviewed Howard Webb who is fully behind the idea!

Sooo, it looks like this will happen in the near future after all. Thanks to England and Mexico!!

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I've always wondered what's taking them so long to do it. The controversies keep coming back, every year. It's one I keep bringing up like here and here.

It's not just about keeping the integrity of the game. It can also serve to protect referees because there have been cases when they've been threated or treated violently because of a controversial call that could have been settled and corrected with instant replay instead of them just saying they can't change the call anymore.

I'm sad about the blatant ref errors in this WC, but in a way maybe there's a positive side to it because it brings out the video ref debate again, on a bigger level (nothing bigger than a WC audience for FIFA). They said FIFA is a step closer to "giving in". Maybe we'll finally see one before the Euro Championships in two years.

7. Nina

Nina Registered Member

I read somewhere about the ONE downside to this development.

Apparently, if we did introduce instant replay, we'd have players demanding for it for each and every foul and each and every goal, kick, offsides, penalties and what not. Basically, since one match is so short and its a continuous game where time is of the essence, this would mean most time would be spent reviewing these things than on the actual game. They just cannot afford to waste that much time.

And having the match go on after the ref's decision and let the reviewing happen is the background is not a viable option. As I said before, time is a very imp factor here, and in the case of fouls or red cards, having a player (who in reality should have been sent off the field) play for the time in which the reviewd desicion is made
    can offer the team many advantages, even if its for such a short period of time. Its just not possible to implement that.

While that is true, on the other side, if NOT having it results in unfair upsets like in the case of Mexiico and England, then that's jsut going to add to FIFA's bad name AND discourage teams from further participation. They cannot afford that either can they...

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

That's a good point but you can limit that by the number of challenges a team can make and limit what can be challenged. Whether a player was offsides during the scoring of a goal or whether the ball actually went into the goal is reviewable while whether a foul was committed or not is not reviewable for example.

I know what you mean about time and you're right but there are ways to limit how much time is used on reviews.

9. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree with CO. Limit the use of replay to offenses happening in the goal box or to confirm a ball was over the line of the goal or not. I definitely do not think that this should be used for fouls on the field as well. Then they might as well eliminate human refs all together and that would not help the speed of the game along at all. I am sure FIFA has the power to limit the use to a specific degree only.

10. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't think we need anything major for goal line technology. Cameras are constantly following the ball and watching the goal from several different angles, i think all it takes is for some guy in the back, watching it on screen like we do, just to say to the ref in an earpiece 'actually mate, that went in'.

That's for the big games anyway. I remember having replays at the local stadium when we got our new big screen; it was neat but they stopped doing it after a few games :-/