Tim Tebow: Why do you hate him?

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Zappa, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Zappa

Zappa Registered Member

Everyone seems to have a strong emotion one way or another about Tim Tebow. I can see why people like him, it seems to me there is a lot to like. But lots of people hate him. My question is, to those that hate him, why? :confused:

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I like the guy, always been a fan of his style of play, work ethic, determination and never quit attitude. I wish him all the best in the NFL, except when he plays against the Cowboys.

There's a few reasons why I believe people can't stand the guy, one of the biggest one is that he played for the Gators and a lot of people cannot stand that team. Another, is the hype he's gotten in College, some people believe he didn't deserve it, and didn't deserve to get drafted that high in the NFL draft.

Just my two cents on your question.

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I personally like the guy too, I love guys that bust their ass and have a strong determination to succeed.

Besides BR's points, I also think society in general hates nice guys. If he cussed in inteviews and had a crappy attitude towards fans and if were arrested a few times suddenly he's cool. Makes no sense to me but it is what it is.

Also, like BR, just my two cents.

4. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

I firmly dislike Tim Tebow, and there are a few reasons for that.

Firstly, he went to Florida. Words can't describe how much I hate Florida. I think the city of Gainesville should be nuked off the face of the earth. This is how much I hate Florida.

Secondly, I think he was terribly over-hyped. I'm not taking anything away from his athleticism or work ethic. But I can't stand the fact that he is hailed as the best thing to ever come out of college football by the likes of ESPN and other sports analysts. I find it terribly hypocritical that he is praised so highly when he is, in my opinion, the perfect example of a product of a 'system' when that label on any other player earns them scorn. It's like just because he did it in the SEC that makes it perfectly OK.

Thirdly, which is actually related to my second point, is that he was playing on some of the most talented teams in college football, yet all we ever heard about was how great Tim Tebow was and how he made that team. I firmly believe that you could have put damn near any QB on that team and they would have won due to all the talent. Likewise, I firmly believe that if you put Tebow in a different system or on a different team and you get an average QB.

Fourthly, his college stats are horribly inflated. Urban Myer is an evil genius of college football in my mind. He knows damn well that if he blows out as many opponents as possible it makes his team look better and more likely to rise in the ranking, and Tebow directly benefited from this. Keeping Tebow in until halfway through the third quarter against Temple serves no purpose other than to boost his stats.

Like I said before, I am not taking anything away from his work ethic or his toughness or all those other 'intangibles'. Those are things that I think football could use more of. However, because of all the reasons I stated above, I can't stand to even hear his fucking name.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I can't stand Florida, but I've always admired Tebow. Say what you want about him being overrated as a quarterback, about him being a system quarterback or just having tons of talent around him. On the field, nobody plays harder than he does or wants to win more than he does. And off the field he seems like an extremely classy guy as well. If those aren't good reasons to like a player, then I don't know what are.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I'm going to agree with Vince that he is overrated but not terribly. Even if Urban Meyer is an evil genius Tebow still had to execute and I disagree any college QB could have done as well as he did. His game may not translate to the NFL and he may show to be unworthy of being a first round pick, but I do think he's a pretty damn good athlete and he plays really hard.

7. Babe_Ruth

Echoes said it better than I did, during the last four years in College try to name me a player that played harder, had that no quit attitude, tremendous work ethic and won. I know there's a few out there, but there's not many that can surpass him when it comes to those credentials.

You never have to question him either, you know what he brings to the table.

8. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I think a lot of his bad rap comes from his inaccurate passing/interceptions. The kid can play football and obviously loves the game.

I think the Broncos would be smart to build a system around him. He should be able to use his legs in a similar way to Vick while learning and refining his passing abilities.

9. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Good God, is the hate for Florida that bad here?

Anyway Tebow seems like an okay although I don't like how he cried after he lost one of his games a year or so ago, like he literally cried.

10. Babe_Ruth

I don't see anything wrong in that, to me that only shows that he as passion to win every game he plays. Some people show their emotions in anger, and other show them by crying. He just takes it really seriously, and I respect him a lot for that.