Tigers/Red Sox semi-brawl

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Did anyone see the semi-brawl between the Tigers and Red Sox last night. I'm surprised that Youk went after Porcello even though it seemed to be on purpose. Youk gave Porcello a good spear but Porcello just flip him over with ease. Edwin Jackson was furious and was ready to go. I like it personally when there's a few brawls like these every year. Both Youk and Porcello will get a lengthy suspension for this tough.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
"Flipped him over"? Did we watch the same game? You make it sound like Youk was karate-tossed or something. Porcello ran from Youk first and Youk's momentum took them both down since Youk tried to tackle him but Porcello held on.

It's not surprising that Youk started this, he's a major hot-head. He's got a temper he needs to learn to control so really, it was no surprising in the slightest.

I don't see a lengthy suspension at all to be honest. 5 games, maybe 8 tops but that's a stretch.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think Youk gets 5 no matter what and might get more for throwing his helmet at Porcello. But nothing more then 8 games I wouldnt think.

Porcello made it look like an accident but it was kind of suspicious given what happened to Miggy Cabrera in the 2nd inning. I mean, Porcello ran so that made it look even less likely like he did it on purpose. And Youk should have thrown a punch because he ended up appearing to have lost the fight since Porcello hip tossed him over.
------
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...name=law_keith

Some more stuff from Keith Law about the brawl yesterday.

By: Keith Law

There are two real culprits in this Tigers-Red Sox mess, when a brawl broke out in the bottom of the second. First is Kevin Youkilis, who showed once again that he can't keep his emotions in check by charging the mound without a moment of hesitation after he was hit by a pitch. Tigers starter Rick Porcello backed off and raised his hands as if to ask why Youkilis was rushing the mound. Those of us in the scouts' seats had the same reaction. Porcello looked like he was in for a dominant outing, sitting 91-94 with great sinking life, and had a three-run lead.

He had a win in his sights; was he really throwing at Youkilis, or was it another two-seamer that ran too far to his arm side? Youkilis had probably already decided he wanted some pretense for charging the mound (maybe to get Porcello out of the game?) and he should be suspended for acting like a fool.

The other culprit is the umpiring crew, and while some responsibility has to fall on home plate umpire Brian O'Nora, it's time MLB took a more serious look at Tuesday's first base ump and crew chief, Jerry Crawford.

This is Crawford's second major incident of the month, after Friday's egregious blown call and subsequent outburst against Arizona manager A.J. Hinch. While Crawford has yet to sink that low during this game -- the night is still young as I type this -- the crew's decision to toss Porcello after he hit one batter with a three-run lead and no warning in effect was incompetence at best and cowing to a hostile Fenway crowd at worst. Crawford's involvement in two on-field blowups, both featuring bad umpiring decisions, calls into question his fitness to umpire major league games, especially ones with playoff implications like Tuesday's.

Youkilis was the fifth batter plunked in this series through 10-plus innings. Miguel Cabrera was hit twice, once in each game, although Junichi Tazawa was struggling badly with his command and almost certainly didn't intend to hit Cabrera, while Brad Penny most likely did mean to hit him the night before. To suddenly decide "that's enough" after Porcello hit Youkilis without any prior warning reeks of pandering to the home crowd. Even if that wasn't a factor, it showed very poor judgment on the part of Crawford and his crew.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I love how Law's logic is "Porcello wanted to win, why would he intentionally hit Youk" and "Youk is an animal who probably was looking for a reason to beat someone".

What a tool.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I love how Law's logic is "Porcello wanted to win, why would he intentionally hit Youk" and "Youk is an animal who probably was looking for a reason to beat someone".

What a tool.
Keith Law is a clueless dipship...no doubt about it...but I thought it was an interesting read this go round.

The more and more I think about it the more I think Youkilis should get more then 5 games for throwing a weapon at a guy who was running away from him. Maybe it was on purpose but it seemed obvious Porcello had no interest in a fight last night. Who knows. Brad Thompson got suspended (he's appealing) three games for missing David Wright with a fastball that got away...so there's no telling what will come off this.

The Porcello hip toss reminds me of Pedro and Zimmer but not as hilarious.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Throwing a weapon?

So does that mean the next time a kid is riding his bike, a cop can pull him over for possessing illegal weaponry? :lol:

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Throwing a weapon?

So does that mean the next time a kid is riding his bike, a cop can pull him over for possessing illegal weaponry? :lol:
LoL, well in THIS instance you could maybe make a case for it...maybe weapon is the wrong choice of words.

Although i guess you could look at it this way. Porcello threw something at Youk so he was just returning the favor.

Man I suck...I just killed my own argument.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well both players were suspended for five games. Which isn't very surprising. But out of the two I think Porcello gets the easiest punishment since he's only missing on start. I agree with you Twitch, I don't believe it was momentum at all.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Well both players were suspended for five games. Which isn't very surprising. But out of the two I think Porcello gets the easiest punishment since he's only missing on start. I agree with you Twitch, I don't believe it was momentum at all.
I'm sure if that was Halladay charging the mound, you'd say momentum, too.

:lol: