Tiger Woods reputation

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Alright! I think this deserves it own thread.

Everyone is talking about Tiger Woods affairs and such, and saying that it's going to hurt him in so many ways and such, well I have a few questions for you guys.

1) Will this hurt Tiger Woods reputation among golf fans, or will he still be the most popular golfer on the course?

2) Will he lose some endorsements? Nike has a moto of having a clean reputation.

3) Will this hurt his golfing game when he comes back and play?

Thoughts?

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

1. I think it does hurt his reputation quite a bit. My brother in law is a Tiger fan and he thinks a lot less of him now. I think he will lose a lot of fans because of this. But at the same time, I think a lot of people will offer him their support and he will still be the most popular golfer.

2. I would be surprised if he lost endorsements. He is still one of the most marketable people on the planet.

3. One thing about Tiger is that he never seems to let distractions hurt his game. People were saying he wouldn't be the same golfer after his dad died, after he got married, after he had a kid, but he always proves them wrong. He will still be the best golfer in the world.

3. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i would see it as a nonsense if his reputation would fall after the reveal of his private affairs.
    the fact that he cheated on his wife won't change the fact that he's the best golf-player for now.
    and i also wonder why his fans would think about what he does with his private life. when it comes to sport, fans see the game/player... not the person.

about the 2nd question i don't know but about the 3rd i think he might be distracted. the revelation of your intimate life is no easy thing.

4. Major

Individual sports like golf are a lot different than team sports. You're rooting for one person, so usually the fan favorites are the ones with good personalities and good morals and values.

5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I don't think anything less of him...at all. Do I agree with what he did? Absolutely not. I've never cheated on anybody in my life, never will and I don't condone it.

Look, he's a professional athlete and this type of thing happens A LOT. More then most people even realize. If you get married to a sports star you'd better be forgiving, understanding and know what you MIGHT be getting yourself into. I've seen it with my own eyes...to these guys it doesn't matter if they are married. Most of them view themselves as superstars and that they can do what or who they want too.

Tiger has never had anything this negative come out before. I dont know how he'll handle it but if I had to guess I'd guess he'd be perfectly fine.

6. Major

How could you NOT think anything less of him for cheating on his wife? You think he's still a good person?

7. Millz

It might sound weird but no, not really. Maybe I'm the only person who isn't surprised by this in the slightest way.

I root for Tiger Woods on the golf course because he's entertaining and is the best golfer I've ever watched. What the clown does in his free time is none of my business.

Now, if he beat up someone or killed someone that's a lot different. We all have morals that we uphold and mine are apparently different from his but I don't judge him for it. It was stupid of him but I won't hold this against him.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I don't believe hes going to lose a lot of fans, most golf fans are males and I think their more forgiving in a situation like this than a female would be.

Don't see him losing endorsements at all either, like Echoes mentioned he's the most marketable athlete in the world, companies like Buick and Nike won't drop him from their campagne over this.

When it comes to his golfing, I doubt he'll lose his touch. Personally I believe he'll be even more focus when he comes back.

Millz you made a great point about people marrying athletes, a lot of them know that celebrities, musicians, athletes can easily get females/males if they want to. Cheating is a big thing that happens all the time, a lot of them know about it but they don't say anything, or do anything about the matter because they sort of saw it coming, and bound to accept it.

Also this stuff happens more then people actually believe, it's just that Tiger got caught that's all.

9. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

hm. i didn't know this about golf actually.

this is not only for sport stars, but for every star[usually].
    so if you get married to a whatever-star, he/she will never be yours. so you better forget him/her.

10. Millz

There are SOME good people out there who really love their siginificant other and wouldn't do this. They are just few and far between.

Its sad and its pathetic.

But honestly, I dont care. If they wanna do this then fine, be a dick for all I care. I swear I'll look at Tiger the exact same way as before.