Throwing Customers Under the Bus

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by Mirage, May 26, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

You know what bugs me? When you call a company and hit the button for sales and get somebody who speaks perfect English and is clearly a native speaker. You call back a few times while making up your mind over a week or so and each time you get somebody who's English is just as understandable as anybody you know. Well, then you buy the product and call back a week or so later for technical support. Guess who picks up the phone? Somebody from India with an accent so thick you could spread it on toast.

Now, I don't have anything against people from India, don't get me wrong. It just annoys me when companies send a message like that. It's CLEAR that they are paying much more for their sales department than their customer service department.

If you ask me, customer service is the one that really matters. A company that skimps on customer service but not on sales is a company that has their priorities wrong. I guess they figure now that you bought their product already it's not as important if you are annoyed on the phone or not. :shake:

2. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I'm not so sure.... Having limited English isn't a deal breaker for me from buying something in the future with that company. I really don't mind mainly due to the fact that I don't speak perfectly understandable English, either. It's like we're having an Ebonics battle until the problem gets resolved. =P

Something such as taking too much time to answer my call, not providing the service I need, putting me on hold constantly or even sending me to different departments IS a deal breaker. A little English problem isn't so bad. Heck, at least they're trying.

3. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

It bugs the hell out of me; you can't understand them and they probably don't understand you either.

4. Mirage

That's not the problem though. I could care less if I am talking to somebody with broken English. The thing that bugs me is when companies hire native English speakers (for more money) for their sales department and broken English speakers (for less money) for their customer support department.

It says something about a company if they are purposefully spending more money to get new customers than they are to help those customers once they've already paid.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

The bottomline is the sales. That's where the profit is. Getting customers is the job, keeping them is an after thought unless the length of time the customer stays with you generates income too. If not, then it doesn't matter if you, as the customer, quit the next day. Today's business offers also tie you with the company for a certain period of time so there's not much point in trying to make sure you'll stay because you have no choice.

6. Mirage

That's the thing though. You call to order a cell phone and you get people you can understand. Then when you are a customer and call to clear up a technical problem of some sort (when you really need to be able to understand the person more than ever) you get somebody who has just completed their first lesson in English. More power to them for trying to learn a very hard language but I just think it's tacky on the company's part when they go out of their way to save money at their own customers expense.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

What pisses me off is the fact that they're trained to pretend they live in the US. That's the hilarious part.

Service Rep: "Hello, this is Pardeep Shrilanka Badonkadonka Smith, how can I be of service to you?"
    Customer: "Pardeep, where do you live?"
    Pardeep: "In Las Vegas."
    Customer: "What street?"
    Pardeep: " . . . the first one."

It's a lot cheaper to give jobs to India for customer service not to mention the fact that they've got a stronger technological background than the US.

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

And that's the thing, it's cheaper so it ends up benefitting us. Although, it would be nice if they trained them a little better.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah, that's all I was getting at. If they could speak clearer, things would be nicer. I've never had a terrible experience myself as I've not used customer service too often.

10. Mirage

Yeah that happened in the movie "Slumdog Millionaire". There was a scene in a call center and some guy was saying he lived somewhere in the US. They all had US names as their sales names too from what I remember.