Thrashers to Hamilton??

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Millz, May 29, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Or at least that's what a group from Vancouver wants to do.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278109

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

If Balsilie got so many problems getting a team to Hamilton, than there's no chance that this investor group will be able to relocate them there. The Coyotes filled for Bankruptcy and Bettman doesn't even want Balsillie to move them to Hamilton. Don't see this happening at all.

3. Millz

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I hope this makes Bettman's head explode.

icegoat63 likes this.
  5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Wouldnt it be a huge slap to the face of Balsillie though if the NHL does approve this move?

Kinda makes you wonder though, considering the Thrashers are already in the Eastern Division, maybe it might make more sense to move them up North... then jump Phoenix over to Las Vegas (like Bettman has wanted to do). If he can just get the right cogs in motion, I wouldnt be surprised to see something like this start rolling into effect.

Then both of the options that have been debated over will get completed... another Club in Canada and the first Permanent Pro Sports team in Las Vegas.

6. gusto

gusto Registered Member

I think that Bettman should just get the heck out of hockey. If Hamilton does not get an NHL team of one sort or another I will be very pissed.
    I'd like to see Winnipeg, Quebec city and Halifax with teams also. I don't know what Bettman's problem is but I wish he would just go away.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Dont want to go off topic, but Jeanie brought up a good something, that I felt like I wanted to comment on. I believe Bettman is the worse commissioner in any sports league around. Ever since he took over he's made some bad decisions. I don't think he really knows what the fans want. He tries to put hockey teams in markets that are made for Football and Baseball, and doesn't want to bring another team to Canada. You can call this Canadian bias if you like, but I think there should be at least ten teams in Canada. Most of the Canadian teams. especially Toronto and Montreal bring the most revenue in the NHL. Why not bring more teams to Canada. I know two teams failed years ago, but I think it's much different now, than what it was back then.I just wish he stepped down, because he's an idiot, and I cannot stand him.

Jeanie likes this.
  8. icegoat63

I wouldnt say its Canadian bias my friend... because I agree 100%. Florida doesnt need 2 teams when 1 of them is already struggling. Altanta shouldnt have really even had an NHL until they could prove to sustain a minor league club (I'm thinking Gwinnet Gladiators who are fairly new :hah:).

It is in fact poor marketing on his part, bad business decisions to keep preventing the intellegent moves from happening. His board of Advisors have to be just as idiotic to think that they are making great moves in terms of promoting the sport.

Its been a while, but last time I heard the NHL Home Ice guys talking about the NHL's financials... Toronto alone brings in just under 1/3rd of the whole NHL's revenue. Isnt that the stupidest thing to not want to exploit that region a little more? I think Bettmans big problem is he just doesnt have Balls. He's to afraid to make the big moves because he doesnt want the responsibility of being "the guy that made that move"... well to bad for him he's become "the guy who was to much of a pansy to make those moves" in my book :hah:

9. Millz

I dont like Bettman in the slightest way but I think it was a good idea to at least try and expand into the southern states. He over killed it with two Florida teams but I cannot blame him for trying. The Jets and Nordiques could not survive during the time frame they left...it was good business at the time.

I guess the thing that doesnt make sense is that hockey failed in Atlanta once...so why bring back another franchise? Florida only needed one team. Dallas is a great hockey city so they arent all bad. NOw that hockey has revenue sharing I think Bettman should be open to looking to put more teams in Canada...its another good business decision.

Maybe not Hamilton though...i havent heard many people talk very highly of it. Another team in Toronto would be fine or Saskatoon or Winnipeg would be better choices

10. icegoat63

Oh trust me I know what you mean. And I'll be the first to argue that Hockey Fans are not trademark to the North. There are still adament fans in the South regardless of how crappy the ratings are.

My thing is, I just wish he would have taken a more grassroots approach to it. Encouraged a few more AHL or ECHL franchises to be established down there before he put a big club there. Build the fan base on those to test the water before just jumping in like he did.