Thrashers reach agreement with top goalie

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
ATLANTA (AP) -The Atlanta Thrashers agreed to terms on a contract with No. 1 goaltender Kari Lehtonen with one week left before training camp.

General manager Don Waddell said the team expects to have Lehtonen anchor the Thrashers' goal "for several years to come."

The 22-year-old native of Helsinki, Finland, was the second overall pick in the 2002 NHL entry draft. He had a 20-15-0 record and 2.94 goals-against average and two shutouts in 38 games with the Thrashers last season, leading the team in wins despite being sidelined for 41 games with injuries.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed Thursday, but The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported it was for two years and $3.7 million.

http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/09/281840.html

F

Forbidden

Well this is good news for the Thrashers.. they will have a solid team to contend with for these next playoffs if Lehtonen has a good season. He's still a young goalie, but he has shown that he can do solid. Maybe with Kovalchuk and Hossa, and Lehtonen having success, Atlanta will reach the playoffs that they barely missed last season.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I personally think he's going to be a tremoundous goaltender, he had lots of injuries last season, but if he would of stayed healthy, I believe the Trashers would of made the Playoffs, he is supposely a Phenom goaltender in Europe. I personally think he's going to be known has the best goalie in the game in a couple of seasons. I also think signing this contract will give him confidence.

Side Note, I chose him has one of my goalie in my Hockey Pool.

F

Forbidden

Best goalie in the game may be a stretch, I think Brodeur will still be the best until he leaves the league, although Kiprusoff had an amazing season last year.