Thousands feared dead as major quake strikes Haiti

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
yeah its pretty intense....

The Roman Catholic archbishop of Port-au-Prince was among the dead, and the head of the U.N. peacekeeping mission was missing.
The international Red Cross said a third of Haiti's 9 million people may need emergency aid and that it would take a day or two for a clear picture of the damage to emerge.
President Barack Obama promised an all-out rescue and humanitarian effort, adding that the U.S. commitment to its hemispheric neighbor will be unwavering.

Quake-stunned Haitians pile bodies by fallen homes - Yahoo! News
Just goes to show that Us < Mother Earth....

One thing that alot of people arent aware of is that nobody is really immune to this kind of catastrophe. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that everything I've learned in my geology course was exaggerated... if its not then the US is for a big surprise in the next 5 years itself. Most all of you are aware of our major "strike - slip" zone between the Pacific Plate and the North American Plate, aka: San Andreas Fault. Enough subcontinental pressure has built up there that California is due for a 7.0+ magnitude Earthquake, equivelant to that of the 1906 one that devastated San Francisco.

I hope Haiti, as sad as it is, does play a reminder role that we're nothing more than passengers on this big ride.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Its terrible news, the practical news blackout regarding the figures surrounding casualty and deaths is also concerning. Looking at the reports of the amount of international peacekeepers killed by the respective countries, I fear the worst for the civilian figures.

One thing that alot of people arent aware of is that nobody is really immune to this kind of catastrophe
Location, location, location. Sure mothernature can throw a wild card anywhere but its fair to say Haiti is sitting in a hotspot of disaster. If its not a quake, its a hurricane, if its not a hurricane, its landslides, if its not lanslides its tropical surges. We may not be immune to this kind of thing but its fair to say Haiti has one of the worst seats in the house.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping that everything I've learned in my geology course was exaggerated... if its not then the US is for a big surprise in the next 5 years itself. Most all of you are aware of our major "strike - slip" zone between the Pacific Plate and the North American Plate, aka: San Andreas Fault. Enough subcontinental pressure has built up there that California is due for a 7.0+ magnitude Earthquake, equivelant to that of the 1906 one that devastated San Francisco.
The big difference here is the building in California are built to an exceptionally high-standard in anticipation of
the next big one. Whilst the buildings in Haiti only just stand up in normal conditions (remember the school collapses). When California is hit Im sure the police, fireservices, hospials and civil infrastructure will be prepared, Haiti hardly has any of these to start with. It always seem some of the worst off places are always hit the hardest.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!

Dali

Registered Member
The guy that trained me for my job in Jersey is from Haiti... he went down for Christmas and is still down there :shifteyes: He was supposed to come back Monday. This just makes me more worried.
I really hope that he is alright pro? My thoughts are with everyone right now and I hope that as many countries as possible are sending aid out to help these people. Times are changing and everyone has to stick together.

I know Utah is due for a massive earthquake and it scares me. I have only ever felt two quakes in my lifetime and they were small ones in Britain, it must be terrifying to experience a big one.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There was 82 Canadian Police peacekeepers in Haiti during this Earthquake, 80 of the 82 are confirmed alive, but two of them are still missing and they work for the same company as I do.

I don't know them personally, but I do hope they find them safe and sound. Every time I hear new news about this it seems to get worse. But personally I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.

My thoughts and prayers are sent out to everyone.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I really hope that he is alright pro? My thoughts are with everyone right now and I hope that as many countries as possible are sending aid out to help these people. Times are changing and everyone has to stick together.

I know Utah is due for a massive earthquake and it scares me. I have only ever felt two quakes in my lifetime and they were small ones in Britain, it must be terrifying to experience a big one.
I just heard on the news that they are sending an aircraft carrier down with rescue helicopters and supplies... There is also a hospital ship coming from Baltimore.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Just goes to show that Us < Mother Earth....
Careful now. That's starting to sound blasphemous...

I agree with Bananas that it's about location. Haiti is just in an unfortunate position to get hit by...pretty much everything.

In Dallas, we're far enough away from the shore to avoid hurricanes and far enough down tornado alley to avoid tornadoes. The worst weather we get is thunderstorms.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Haiti earthquake 'may have killed more than 100,000' - Times Online

The Prime Minister of Haiti said today that he feared an earthquake which devastated Port-au-Prince could have killed "well over 100,000" people.
"I hope that is not true, because I hope the people had the time to get out,"

"Because we have so many people on the streets right now, we don’t know exactly where they were living. But so many, so many buildings, so many neighborhoods totally destroyed, and some neighborhoods we don’t even see people, so I don’t know where those people are."
The country's President, René Préval, issued an urgent plea for help to deal with the "unimaginable" destruction. "Parliament has collapsed. The tax office has collapsed. Schools have collapsed. Hospitals have collapsed,'' Mr Préval told The Miami Herald. "There are a lot of schools that have a lot of dead people in them."
The earthquake brought down Mr Préval's magnificent white presidential palace in Port-au-Prince, although neither the President nor his wife Elisabeth – whom he married a month ago – were there at the time.
Among the buildings brought down by the quake was the national penitentiary, prompting a mass jailbreak. UN officials said that at least four ministries, including the ministry of finance, also collapsed.
The National Cathedral was also badly damaged – killing the Archbishop of Port-au-Prince, Serge Miot – and the only crane at Port-au-Prince's seaport also came down, rendering the port unusable.

"Buildings and infrastructure were heavily damaged throughout the capital. Basic services such as water and electricity have collapsed almost entirely."
You would expect some of the reported collapsed buildings to be some of the better built one. I know height has a significant impact to stability so that might just be the case but its not sounding good at all.