Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Sorry, I don't have a source for this, but I heard it on the radio on my way to work. So a guy that drives a big rig(sp) one of those big trucks for a living, got pulled over in Windsor and got a 300$ fine for smoking on his job. It's not illegal to smoke, but because he was on his job time he got fined 300$ for it.

Thoughts?

Personally I believe it's stupid, don't we have larger crimes to take care of then stopping someone for smoking on his job? Like come on.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It sounds stupid and too much of a consequence for something so small. Although I've heard of other ridiculous fines that were meant really to make sure no one disobeys the law.

But, if they want to be technical about it, he can say it was his "break" time from work. Wouldn't that work?

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't think it would work, the cop would probably say why didn't you pull over somewhere to take that break of yours?

If the cop stopped him for that stupid reason, no matter what excuse the driver would of given him, I still believe the cop would of still given him a ticket.

4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

That's pretty stupid. I wonder if he owns his own rig or if the company he works for has their own. Most of the time here, people own their own rigs and contract it out. I think it would be pretty stupid x10 to give him a ticket on his own property.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

What kind of "smoking"

I know this is sad, but I recall an episode from "The Office" where they were talking about elongated water breaks. And how getting paid to hang around the Water Jug is equivelant to stealing company time.

However its funny because even in that episode they said that Smokers are still allowed 5 minute breaks every hour to go puff a butt. :hah:

6. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

Well if it's a known rule to not smoke while driving one of those trucks, then he shouldn't have been doing it.

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah that is another good point. Because some of those trucks are "shared" in that one Driver will use the truck for a few days, then get their off time and then another trucker would take over the Wheel in that same truck.

Heres the thing... if I were Trucker #2 and Trucker #1 smoked up the cabin... I'd be flat out pissed. So I can definitely see how its not fair to Trucker #2 if #1 is playing freight train.

8. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

If he is transporting flammable contents he better damn well not be smoking.

It is a legitimate fine. Buildings are usually smoke-free so employees have to leave the building to smoke.

icegoat63 likes this.
  9. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

That sounds so bogus. How did the cop see that he was smoking in the first place? Unless he were staring at the guy for awhile, I don't think he'd just happen to look over and see that the guy was smoking. And for that matter, how did the cop know that the guy isn't supposed to smoking on the job, even if his job is to drive for a living?

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

But wouldn't that be the company's decision? Or were they the ones who pulled over the driver and fined him?

I'm confused as to why the police would care or interfere in those kinds of matters.