• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Thoughts on Sabermetrics

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What are your thoughts on Sabermetrics? Are you someone that is a strong believer in them? Or, you prefer the "eye test" when it comes to rating a Baseball player?

BadNewsJays

I've really started to like, and beginning to learn about the various sabermetric stats available. FanGraphs is a great tool I use, and I'm sure many of you also use it. I still only have a basic understanding (ISO, WAR, WPA, wRC+, FIP, catcher's ERA are about all I understand), but I'm learning. Especially since watching Moneyball, and watching a team that draws 10,000 nightly beat the shit out of the Jays, I think it they're pretty damn accurate.

TheMorosiEmbargo

Incredibly useful tools of analysis, but I find that people completely toss out some of the more traditional counting stats and discount them when sabermetrics and counting stats actually compliment each-other nicely.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A huge part of sabermetrics is the understanding of what the data actually means and that requires some intuitive and visual analysis of how the game is actually played to serve as a check to make sure the numbers you see are making sense.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I don't mind sabermetrics, and I ain't going to lie.. I don't know much about them except a few things here and there. I'd love to sit down, and get learn it but time just wont allow that right now. But what bothers me the most, is a lot of sabermetrics "geeks" think they know more than anyone else, and that's what drives me crazy.

MDougy7

Not a huge fan of them but they can serve a good purpose. I think I'm not a fan is because I don't understand it.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
TheMorosiEmbargo said:
That's another qualm I have with them.
It's truly annoying. I respect they look at the game in a "different" way than others, and I'm sure it's a lot of work to learn all that stuff, but it doesn't mean they're always right. Which seems to be the case with "some" people I discuss with. I guess we need to get used to it, because that's the direction all of sports is going, especially baseball.

willge87

Registered Member
I don't mind sabermetrics, and I ain't going to lie.. I don't know much about them except a few things here and there. I'd love to sit down, and get learn it but time just wont allow that right now. But what bothers me the most, is a lot of sabermetrics "geeks" think they know more than anyone else, and that's what drives me crazy.
This

and

Incredibly useful tools of analysis, but I find that people completely toss out some of the more traditional counting stats and discount them when sabermetrics and counting stats actually compliment each-other nicely.
This

I'll take Joe Carter for example. He doesn't rate well in many of these sabremetric stats and that is fine, but does that mean we are supposed to toss away everything he did for the franchise?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes, there's some flaws in all metrics. For example, last year at one point Brett Lawrie was considered the best player in the Major Leagues because of WAR.

But, instead of hunkering down and insisting that the advanced metrics were correct and that Brett Lawrie was the best player in baseball the 'statheads' looked into what was going on and fixed it.

What the problem was, incidentally, was that the defensive metrics were giving Lawrie credit for plays made when he was shifted. To the metric it appeared that Lawrie was making plays 100's of feet away from his position. That was fixed.