• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Thoughts on Don Cherry

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Most of us know have probably watched Hockey Night in Canada and we've all heard Don Cherry. We all know that he is some times a bit controversial.

What are your thoughts on Don Cherry? Do you enjoy listening to him? Or can you stand him?

Personally, I've always enjoyed listening to Don Cherry. A lot of my friends cannot stand him because he is some times bias towards Toronto and Boston and hates on Montreal, which is true at times, but he's always given Canadiens some props from time to time - recent one being Subban. I just find him enjoyable. He might have problems pronouncing some names, but he's very knowledgeable.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Don Cherry knows his shit. Don Cherry is old and set in his ways, that is what I think irritates people at times. Some times Don has a certain way he believes something should be done (Women in the locker room) that current times do not agree with. (Let's not forget, Don Cherry was a pioneer in getting females in the locker rooms)

One of the biggest things I will always agree with Don on is protection of players. Almost everything that Don bitches about year in and year out is ways the league can change rules to better protect the players. He's been harping about icing for ages... now we are more than likely going to get hybrid icing. He wants the benches on opposite sides of each other... I hope that comes to fruition. I can only see one downside of the benches on both sides... you create a home side and visiting side in the arena ;) White mesh over the glass behind the nets so the referees can better see if a puck actually went up and over (It would have prevented Karlsson's cut).

Kissing Nazem Kadri and putting him in a giant goal scoring slump...

I love Don Cherry and will personally enjoy every moment we have left of him. He is getting older and eventually the Hockey Night in Canada staple will no longer be on our television. His opinions are sometimes controversial that makes the first intermission entertaining. If you don't like watching him you don't have to that's why the invented the remote. The man is Legend and we should all cherish the time we have left watching him.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I love Don Cherry. I may not always agree with him, he may say some things that are controversial and/or unpopular, but what I love about him is that he's not afraid to say them. He's not afraid to be his beautiful self.

Moesquare

He's an institution, for good and for bad. He is Canadiana , again for good and for bad. He has misogynistic tendencies, what with the whole women in the locker room episode. He still values toughness in an era in which hockey is slowly (probably too slowly) moving into an analytic sport in which we can debunk myths (Like Tyler Bozak being a number 1 Center when he's in reality a 3rd/4th line center). He has no conscience, which is as much an admirable trait as it is buffoonery. He is hated by some, cheered by others, but will be missed by all

willge87

Registered Member
Moesquare said:
He's an institution, for good and for bad. He is Canadiana , again for good and for bad. He has misogynistic tendencies, what with the whole women in the locker room episode. He still values toughness in an era in which hockey is slowly (probably too slowly) moving into an analytic sport in which we can debunk myths (Like Tyler Bozak being a number 1 Center when he's in reality a 3rd/4th line center). He has no conscience, which is as much an admirable trait as it is buffoonery. He is hated by some, cheered by others, but will be missed by all
Moe nailed a lot of good points with his post!

I treat a lot of what he says with a grain of salt, but nevertheless I think people do want to hear what he has to say about certain topics whether it's good or bad.

Sabby

He's brash, in your face, biggotted at times and doesn't apologize. In a lot of ways he reminds me of my grandfather. He's set in his ways and will not change. But the man knows hockey. I can't count the times that the NHL has altered a rule for the betterment/safety of the game, and Grapes rolls a Coach's Corner clip from 7-8 years ago where he specigfically mentions the need for that change. He's got his pulse on the game and knows what needs to be done. He also does amazing work for minor hockey and little kids coming up. I also respect the hell out of him for wearing his emotions on his sleeve and breaking down when he announces the death of a soldier, police office, fire fighter etc. He's old school but I will miss him when he decides to retire

Rehmo

BobbyD_29 said:
I don't watch Coach's Corner anymore. I think Don stopped being relevant about 15 years ago.
Yup! He a nut who can't complete a full thought. I liked him 5-10 years ago but now its getting to the point wheres its more a long-run stale joke.

KyleM

The guy is a moron. He speaks out of his ass more times then not and he has admitted to being racist.

But GOD I do love listening to him.

The fact that he is right about a lot (not all) of things he says, even though he says it in such ridiculous manner, makes him one of the most entertaining and intelligent hockey people out there.

He is confident in himself and doesn't over think things. He is just who he is. What a great life he is leading. Props to him.