Thoughts on Benoit

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

This is a two part question.

What are your thoughts on Benoit the wrestler before he murdered his wife and son?

What are your thoughts on what Benoit did to his family?

Now I know this can get pretty heated, but don't hold back on your feelings for the second question. You won't get infracted for what you say(unless you really deserve it)

Discuss

2. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Before everything happened he was one of my favorite wrestlers in the business. Wasn't a great talker but didnt have to be to get over. He'd have been in the same league as Kurt Angle if his mic work was any better. Just a tremendous competitor.

After it all happened obviously my thoughts changed 180 degrees. Just pissed me off that he'd do that to his wife and kid. His entire career is tarnished and he doesn't deserve to be mentioned ever again and I'm glad WWE is completely writing him off. As far as I'm concerned his career never happened.

3. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

Awesome wrestler, gave it his all in the ring, and he was just exciting to watch. You can tell how much pain he was always in though, for instance his diving headbutt, it was just cringing to see him writhe in pain everytime he hit the headbutt....

As for the family thing, meh it was a bad thing, but there's no point hating on him, I'd rather remember him for the good things he did, rather than the bad. That's not to justify what he did to his family and all, but you know what I mean.

4. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

As a wrestler Benoit was one of the best in the business. There are very few wrestlers, if any, that wrestled with as much intensity as Benoit did.

As for after the murder.... On one hand i felt sympathy for Benoit as there were many external factors that probably caused the murder/suicide tragedy. Substance abuse/addiction and damage from chair shots and headbutts supposedly transformed Benoit's brain into that of an 85 year old alzheimers patient. He definitely wasn't himself. However, i then read that Nancy Benoit included a petition for protection from domestic abuse as part of their divorce, and that was in 2003, 4 years before the incident. Yes the damage would already have been taking it's toll by then, but it does suggest that Benoit had a violent nature. Overall, it's unarguable that his actions were deplorable and it's understandable the WWE's unwillingness to mention Benoit.

However i think it's ridiculous some of the ways in which WWE edit Benoit out of it's history. Liek in the Stone Cold DVD, they edited out Benoit interfering in the match between Austin and Triple H. That just doesn't make any sense. To think that they can completely erase him from history and everyone will forget he ever existed is kind of insulting our intelligence, but the WWE are experts at doing thatt! :p

Another problem i have with the results of Benoit's murder/suicide is the WWE's reaction in terms of safety. It seems like it's assumed that anyone who takes a few chair shots to the head will go psycho, even though everyone took them back in the day and turned out fine. Benoit had serious steroid problems, a possible history of domestic violence, damage from flying headbutts and also he was one of the few people who would take a chair shot to the back of the head, which is much more damaging than a regular chair shot to the head.

5. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

Really? And why is that? Why can't we hate him for brutally murdering his family? Who gives a shit what he did in the ring, it is forever tainted. He is a scumbag.

6. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

That's just my opinion, you can hate on him all you want, but you can't harbor hatred for someone forever.

The one thing I learnt and will carry with me, is to forgive and forget...it's hard and it sounds rather stupid given the situation, but that's just my thoughts.

When I heard that Benoit killed his family, I wanted to find out why he did it, what caused it, what were the external factors that led to it.

Than we find it was a combination of the head traumas he suffered throughout his wrestling career, and the drugs he was taking to subside the pain.

I also don't like how the WWE are erasing him from the history books, which is really insulting to his legacy, and what he did for the WWE.

That's just me though.

7. Millz

I dont give a shit what the reasons were to why he murdered two people and himself...

I dont give two shits

He's one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen.

8. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

We have to take into consideration why he did what he did.

I mean, i'm pretty damn sure that while he was killing his family he wasn't thinking "oh this is great fun". In fact he probably wasn't thinking at all. He'd lost his mind. Like i mentioned earlier, studies showed that his brain resembled that of an 85 year old alzheimers patient. Put a turbulent brain like that in a personal the physical stature of Chris Benoit and it's a ticking time bomb. The problem was, nobody knew about it. It hadn't been diagnosed.

Also, ask yourself why he had such damage to his brain. Because he made huge sacrifices to his own body and his own well being for years, just to entertain people. Just to give back to the wrestling business. Chris Benoit wasn't a cold hearted killer, he didn't kill his family out of malice or for pleasure. What happened was a tragedy more so than a murder.

9. Millz

I dont disagree with you Wooly but nobody else has gone off the deep end like this.

He has no excuses because nobody else has gone insane like this before. Yeah, he put his body on the line but so did thousands of other people. Those guys didn't murder anybody.

10. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Well it's arguable that nobody else in the business has gone that insane before because nobody had the same brain damage as he did. That and it's a very rare and tragic accident, that luckily just isn't that common.

I mean look at Verne Gagne. He also suffered from dementia possibly down to years of head injuries. When he killed a 97 year old man in a retirement home people didn't call him a cold blooded murder like they accuse Chris Benoit of being, but essentially it's the same thing. Does it make it more "evil" because Benoit happened to flip out in his own home rather than in a retirement home?