Thoughts on Apple products

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm just curious to know what your thoughts are on Apple as a whole. Do you like their products, is there certain things that you just refuse to buy?

Thoughts?

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

For the most part, I think that they're not as free and open as other products. A Macintosh, for the most part, locks you into specific hardware, while a PC allows you to build your own rig out of almost any and all hardware out there.

An iPhone forces you to get all your software from a marketplace controlled by Apple, while other smartphones allow you to install whatever compatible software you find on the internet. It also has that strange inability to offer users a hardware keyboard or the use of a stylus.

iPods lock you into one computer and one music library. Other music players let you put music onto it wherever and whenever you want.

3. Scissorhands

Scissorhands Registered Member

They're just products. Sure, Apple may be taking over the world, but I don't understand why some people are like "Ugh, I will never buy an iPod or an iPhone!" Well, why not? If it's a good product, I'm in.

4. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Apple is not just a product, it is a brand. People buy into brands much more readily and will often do so despite better alternatives. If I were to buy "a product" I'd spend a few days researching what is the most suitable for me, I know of other people who would just walk to the Apple store.

Again it is to do with brand awareness. Apple has designed its brand to attract loyalty and that design will not suit everybody regardless of how good the product is.

Quite simply put It is unlikely I would buy either of the above two products, not because of their qualities as a product but because they are a part of a larger brand that I have little appreciation for.

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Price and Branding - They're far too overpriced and their lack of customization is a real turn off. It doesn't mean I won't eventually own one but it will never be my primary machine in my home. Also, the Apple logo has become the most expensive part of the machine much like going into Abercrombie and buying a t-shirt that you know only cost them a max of $4 to produce yet the graphic on it thanks to the power of branding makes the t-shirt salable at $50. If Macs were to ever drop their prices, they would do what they've been trying to do for 20 years and that's replace Windows PCs as the dominant business machine due to their ease of use.

Products - I want a Macbook for the battery life and simplicity but other than that, I can't see myself owning one. I want to learn the Mac operating system and generally earn the experience. In terms of music, I've owned . . . 3 iPods in my life. A first generation Nano, a Shuffle and a Touch. The Nano lasted me a good 3 years and never had any problems. The Shuffle is just lame and the Touch has been . . . so so. It started out great and the apps make it a ton of fun and it's got a fair bit of power. Yet in only a year or two, it's started to get sluggish, glitchy, and overall a pain in the ass. Not to mention iTunes may be one of the worst music management programs I've ever used.

6. Zappa

Zappa Registered Member

+1

Not all people really want or care about that though. It really depends on the user.

7. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

never in a million years will i buy any apple products. we had to use a mac at work for some graphics at one point and i despised it with all my might. ipod is worthless to me as i use my phone for everything. iphone is worthless to me because i don't do touchscreens and it doesnt fully function the way my phone does now. finally i like building my own computers to my own specifications, not what i am able to get from a list.

8. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

I would buy any apple product in a heart beat. No doubt. My dad quit buying PCs about 7 years ago, and has had the same Apple computer for all those years, with minimal work done on it. and, most of it is free. You have an Apple product, if you schedule a meeting online, repairs are done for free. I had an 4th gen Ipod Nano and my charger fried it, and I got it replaced for free. I had an Ipod shuffle, which is dirt cheap and so simple but extremely reliable.

The computer I'm on now is considered vintage. its a 2003. Not even the Apple Store can work on it now, but its still working, and getting work done on is laborious but fairly cheap. not many computers can be worked on 7 years after you bought it. Most PC places will tell you to buy a new one. Not so with Mac.

And customization really isn't a priority of mine, but the reliability and cheap maintenance really offsets the high initial price.
    (And I have NEVER had to replace the battery or had problems with heating).

And I don't understand what could possibly be wrong with itunes. I get it updated and its been working fine for years....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  9. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I don't have a use for an iPad and the iPhone is overpriced and doesn't get very good service in my area. I do have an iPod, though, and that's only because Creative stopped widely selling the Zen and I'm not a huge fan of the Zune.

10. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

That's exactly what gets me as well. I mean really, I haven't had a single problem with Windows 7 and I really like the smooth and easy feel to it. The main difference between the two operating systems (other than layout and compatibility of course) was the difference between a 32 and a 64 bit OS which really made everyone think that Apple was just that much better because they were faster with the same hardware and had a whole lot less crashes and problems in general.

The main reason I don't like Apple is because of how overpriced their machines are. Somehow computers with Windows 7 manage to sell for a whole lot cheaper than a Mac and the computers are just as good (or very close to as good). Apple needs to put their prices down if they want to take over the market, I agree.