• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Those Dealer Only Parts

Godsmirror

Registered Member
I had a mechanical issue the other day and no auto parts stores had the part I needed to fix it. I had to order it from the dealer, but here's the thing......It was a part that only took an hour to install after I unistalled the old one. I always thought that dealer parts would require the service department to install them as they have special tools that we don't.

Anyone know why such a simple part would only be able to be gotten from a dealership?

Impaired

Registered Member
Money. THe manufacturer does not release the part information to the public so you have to buy through them.

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
As Impaired said, it's a money thing. I have always thought that some parts are like proprietary things that certain manufacturers make that are unique to their vehicles. I'm sure that is not 100% correct, but that is how I always looked at it. Kind of like medications that you have to purchase brand name and then generic ones.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They want a monopoly on the parts. Then you are forced to go to them for it and often the repair.