Thomas launches No. 500 at Metrodome

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
MINNEAPOLIS -- Ten percent of Frank Thomas' career home runs have come against the Twins, so it should have been no surprise when the 39-year-old Toronto Blue Jays designated hitter connected for career home run No. 500 off Twins pitcher Carlos Silva in the Jays' 8-5 loss to the Twins on Thursday.

It was a journey that began where it ended. Thomas hit his first home run in the same place, and against the same team, that he hit his 500th home run. When Thomas hit his first career home run off Twins lefty Gary Wayne, who would've known he would be back at the Metrodome 498 homers later looking for 500?
As Thomas rounded the bases after his career-defining blast, he said he was feeling a combination of satisfaction and relief.
"It was a great feeling," he said. "A big smile came to my face. This was a big goal and a big dream."
Thomas has 50 career home runs against the Twins (more than any other team) and has 16 career home runs at the Metrodome.
While some may think 500 homers isn't a big deal in a time when Barry Bonds is chasing Hank Aaron's career home run record, Thomas begs to differ.
"It means a lot to me because I did it the right way. I could care less what others have done," he said. Thomas became the 21st member of the 500 Home Run Club in front of a crowd of more than 38,000 when he hit a 1-2 Silva pitch over the left-field wall in the top of the first inning. The three-run blast was measured at 396 feet and put the Blue Jays ahead of the Twins by a score of 4-0. The Jays slugger eventually accounted for four of the team's five runs in the loss.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070628&content_id=2054182&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
He probably didn't expect to do it because of his ankle injury a couple of years back, but he came back and had a great season with the A's then signed a contract with the Jays and 13 home runs later he reached 500 career home runs which is a great accomplishment. He's only the 21's player to ever reach it, and the first one since Griffey reached it.

The funny thing is that he also got tossed out of the game for arguying the strike zone, I don't believe another player ever got tossed from a game where they hit his 500 home run.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Yeah I just saw that on The Score actually , Quite a way to celebrate. They also mentioned something about the fan who caught the ball but then they never said anything about him , Was there something about him or what?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
He gave Thomas the ball for an autograph bat, ball and jersey. Very nice gesture from this fan, because he could of gotten a lot more on Ebay in my opinion. Also the Twins fan did a nice gesture as well when they gave him a standing ovation very classing from the Minnesota faithfull.

TDG1987

Registered Member
Don't forget about Biggio getting his 3,000th hit too. That and 500 HR's are both great accomplishments. Thomas and Biggio are clearly Hall-of-Famers in my book.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree that both of them are Hall of Famers. Thomas had a great career and I believe that he has another 2-3 good years left, because he's in tremoundous shape, he just needs to stay healthy. So if he does play those 2-3 years then he should move up the home run list which will be awesome.

Also it's a great accomplishment for Biggio, getting 3000 hits is not easy to do.

T

TGriz

what a topic about home runs and steroids didnt come up once? i love it. seriously but also no reason to bring it up with the big hurt cause hes been large allhis life he has gotten bigger but thats just his belly. yeah i was pumped for biggio more because... well... only because he is a former catcher. yes 2 great acomplishment on oneday great day for baseball.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Biggio has been one of the best hitters of this time and same with Thomas and im personally both men got their records. I think they both earned them and im glad to see it happen. They got my vote for the hall.