• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

This Thread was Literally Destined to Exist

breathilizer

Resident Ass-Kisser
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11359361&dopt=Citation

Neurology Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA.

Electrophysiological findings in humans who are performing voluntary acts, indicate that the intention to act, follows brain activity rather than preceding it. This has implications for voluntary behavior and the doctrine of free will. This essay reviews the fields of human behavior, including medicine, in which this new thesis might have far-reaching significance. Copyright 2001 Harcourt Publishers Ltd.
Does this mean we have no free will?

What does it mean to have free will, anyway?

Mare Tranquillity

Elite Intellectual
breathilizer said:
Does this mean we have no free will?
What does it mean to have free will, anyway?
I've read about that research. In his book THE DANCING WU LI MASTERS, Gary Zukov talks about Bell's theorem and how it suggests that causality may not work the way we perceive it to work. I love it! One of the very best things about being alive right now is that things are changing so rapidly that we are being virtually catapulted into the future. I think this rapid change is one of the decisive factors in many people's reversion to fundamental religion--things are changing so fast that they are struggling to find something familiar to hang onto.

Have you read THE HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE by Michael Talbot? It details the work of two well known scientists, one a neurophysiologist and the other a physicist, Carl Pribram and David Bohm. Coming from two very different directions and unaware of each others research, both came to the conclusion that the reality that we expeience is a holographic construct arising from a deeper level of reality. It's a fascinating work that presents scientific evidence to explain some of the mind/body complexities we observe but cannot yet understand. It's available from Amazon in paperback for about $4.

I

IntheNet

Your link points toward: "Parenteral nutrition in patients with leukemia and non-Hodgkin malignant lymphoma under chemotherapy"

Revised link? I don't see the study you are citing.

Free will is demonstrated each day; some choose evil and crime and some choose goodness and following law. God granted mankind this choice; choose well.

breathilizer

Resident Ass-Kisser
Thanks IntheNet. I'll get a new link later.

In the mean time, read the quote and understand exactly what it implies.

M

Mecha

Electrophysiological findings in humans who are performing voluntary acts, indicate that the intention to act, follows brain activity rather than preceding it.
I remember that study. If the person is using that to try to support determinism, he's a quack.

~Mecha

smuda

Registered Member
Modern science, quantum mechanics and the like, are coming to conclusions that the ancient Rishis knew about in 3000 B.C.

breathilizer

Resident Ass-Kisser
Such as? It's important that you back up these assertions. Nowadays people are being suckered into belief systems which claim to show that ancient cultures knew about quantum physics and other modern scientific theories. But upon closer inspection, these relationships are superficial at best.

smuda

Registered Member
The Rishis have told us that the universe goes out to eternity and it goes into the heart to eternity. We are the center of the universe. Quantum Mechanics have found out that "Matter" is a myth. Most of what is around us is empty space. Hindu philosophy says that all of this is a construction of consciousness.

I'm responding to what Mare Tranquility said about holographic universe from a deeper reality. Quantum Mechanics has brought the hindu philsophy of Divine Ground into western civilization.

How this all effects free will? I dunno. But the human nervous system is the most evolved and developed nervous system in the universe. We alone have the ability to realize the boundless awareness that is the divine ground of everything. And now modern physics is giving us scientific evidence to back this up. I'm no expert.

Mare Tranquillity

Elite Intellectual
breathilizer said:
Such as? It's important that you back up these assertions. Nowadays people are being suckered into belief systems which claim to show that ancient cultures knew about quantum physics and other modern scientific theories. But upon closer inspection, these relationships are superficial at best.
There are actually quite a few of these anomalous things. The Dogon people in Africa say that they were brought to this planet from a double star system (I forget which one) and they had a bunch of information about the system, planets there, and the star's colors, information modern science has only discovered very recently. This information was collected by researchers decades ago so it isn't like they looked up the info on the internet. One of the Holy books from India has a very descriptive passage about a spear with a flaming tail that arced up into the heavens and arrowed down into a city and the sun rose in the night over the city... What intrigued me was that the description was detailed enough to compare to the things that the crew of the Enola Gay said after they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima. The colors are right, the mushroom cloud is described perfectly. Archeologist has found a site in India where there is a large area of sandy ground fused into glass just like at the test sites in the US.

Are you famililar with the works of William R. Corliss? He has been collecting published reports on anomalous things for most of his life. Many of the articles come from scientific journals and he rates the individual reports according to their perceived reliability (a scale of 1-4) and he does the same for their anomalous-ness (1-4). He has gathered enough information to publish 36 volumes, of which I have two. The Universe isn't just stranger than we think, it's stranger than we can think.

When I left college I felt like my courses in biology, math, anthropology, and oceanography had given me a sound footing in the REAL world, but almost 4 decades later I have reluctantly come to accept that we have very little understanding of what's happened in the past and very little more than that of what's happening right now. I haven't given up on the scientific process though I have come to realize that science currently has no access to most of what makes up our world. It is humbling and fascinating, everyday is an adventure.