This is why racism in the US is a joke

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

YouTube - NAACP calls Hallmark "Black Holes" graduation card racist

To me, stories like this diminish a true social cause.

This is not racism.

The people in this video are over-reactive alarmists looking for something to bitch about or they're actually so deeply seated in their delusions of the black community being held back by greeting cards. Racism obviously exists but when stories like this are the ones making the prime time news, racism will continue to be and will always remain a huge joke.

Thoughts?

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I wouldn't say that racism (in America) is a joke, but I agree that it seems they're trying to make it into one. You kinda wonder who would come up with these things - I think often they're people who buy into whatever it is they're selling whole heartedly, and don't think about what happens if anyone who doesn't agree with them 110% and who actually thinks about things critically.

It happens with anything people feel strongly about, and try to persuade others; they often sabotage themselves. Religion, anti-racism, PETA, environmentalism, etc.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Obviously I'm not calling racism as a whole a joke, I'm talking about what you were mentioning, the concept of racism in America as a social issue. The issue itself is seen as a gag here in this country since it is called so often.

4. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

In my opinion, the audio in no way sounds like "black whores." It clearly says "black holes." The first time I watched the video I was confused as to what they were upset about until they blatantly said that they thought it was saying "black whores." I'm going to assume the reason they are all up in arms is because they are all hard of hearing or something, since it looked like the average age of the people at that press conference was around 50.

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I know this was addressed by Wade but it does seem by the title of the thread that ALL claims of racism are a joke, which I disagree with. Racism is alive and well. People playing the race card certainly IS a joke.

At the same time, so are baseless accusations of racism, like "The Tea Party is racist" and "conservatives hate black people", those kinds of statements are an example of sloppy thinking.

6. JessEpiphany

JessEpiphany Registered Member

I don't think it's that big of a deal and, in this case, I just think people are being a bit sensitive.

7. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Sounds like a bunch of nanny state busy bodies looking for something to bitch about. It's not like the card had hooded KKK members on it or something.

I think if you look for something to bitch about, you'll find it. I think all this modern "racism" is a mythical advantage attributed by liberals to white people to explain away the social and economic failure of minority group politics.
    ------
    The race card is getting old. The Tea Party is racist, if you are against Obama you are racist, if you are against illegal immigration you are racist.... hell, if you are against anything they are for, you must be racist. It's like their get out of jail free card as I mentioned above... calling someone or something racist just means you have no two feet to stand on in an argument. It a way the left tries to silence the opposition.

It's getting old... really old.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  8. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Yes it does exist, no argument there.

A lot of people tend to unnecessarily victimize themselves, racism is called way too often for things that just simply shouldn't qualify, but as long as the news continues to cover stuff like this it will always be a joke in this manner.

Yes it's getting old, I still get called a racist on a weekly basis by idiots that don't understand the first thing about points they are trying to argue.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  9. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

For the most part I agree with you, it's the card played by those that have no argument. That being said there are legitimate claims of racism and the sad thing is the legitimate claims are labeled incorrectly as playing the race card.

10. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

This story is a joke. Modern US racism isn't.

Unity likes this.