• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

This is why jobs have left America

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Intel CEO: U.S. faces looming tech decline | Politics and Law - CNET News

Intel CEO Blasts Obama Administration, Says Anti-Business Policies Are Killing The Country

First, don't let the tag fool you. The CEO of Intel, Paul Otellini is not anti-Obama rather anti every politician that's made the US a less attractive place to do business.

This guy said a lot of good stuff, this part really rang true to me:

As a result, he said, "every business in America has a list of more variables than I've ever seen in my career." If variables like capital gains taxes and the R&D tax credit are resolved correctly, jobs will stay here, but if politicians make decisions "the wrong way, people will not invest in the United States. They'll invest elsewhere."
Take factories. "I can tell you definitively that it costs $1 billion more per factory for me to build, equip, and operate a semiconductor manufacturing facility in the United States," Otellini said.
The rub: Ninety percent of that additional cost of a $4 billion factory is not labor but the cost to comply with taxes and regulations that other nations don't impose.
That makes me so sad that we are deep in this mess and its going to take many years to unwind the heavy taxes and regulations that we've placed on businesses. Businesses that can build their products anywhere in the world they want to.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
There are many factors that go into cost of operation and where businesses decide to locate, and Paul Otellini's experience is not universal. The externalities resulting from not imposing certain regulations can be more costly to a nation than losing a particular factory. So while there should be an interest in attracting jobs to the country, and keeping them here, having that as the singular goal of policy seems absurd.

It deserves noting that one of the posted articles also mentions that CEO's have called for a loosening of immigration restrictions and greater funding for education. Having open borders and paying for college tuition out of the treasury would do a lot to create jobs. As would infrastructure spending on things like high-speed rail systems. The legalization of prostitution, gambling, and drugs would create still more jobs here.

So I think a few factors are being singled out from many here.