This is not meant to be racist

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

But seriously, look at Africa today. How many African Americans are wishing their ancestors were never taken from Africa? How many African Americans are wishing they lived in Africa right about now? Maybe you really do wish that and if so then history owes you, but I really don't understand why talks of reparations keep coming up.

I'm seriously asking this because the way I look at it, while the end certainly didn't justify the means, there's really not much to complain about when the bigger picture is displayed.

Maybe I'm completely off base here. Like I said, this is not meant to be racist at all but really if it weren't for the slavery we have in our history chances are most African American people today wouldn't even exist. Is this a fair statement to make?

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

So what you're saying is that black people in America should be thankful that slavery existed? I don't understand what you're getting at.

3. Mirage

Thankful probably isn't the best word. I'm not saying slavery was justified by any means, just that people exist today that wouldn't have existed otherwise. If we are going to be realistic about it, slavery did affect the gene pools of the world in a pretty big way.

4. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Even if you're right and African Americans are better off today than most Africans, that doesn't justify slavery in the slightest, and doesn't make it any more justified in retrospect.

Another example would be Jews in today's Germany. Thanks to German sensitivity to this topic because of the Holocaust, the ca. 200,000 Jews in Germany today are probably better off than they would be, had the Holocaust never taken place. Without the Holocaust, anti-Semitism would be much more prominent today in Germany. Does that justify the Holocaust? Of course it doesn't.

I'd like to hear the opinions of African Americans, though. Are there any here on this forum?

5. Mirage

No, don't get me wrong. As I said I'm not in any way trying to justify slavery.

This is more addressed at the subject of reparations. Why can't we all agree that nobody alive today is responsible for what happened and just live with how things ended up? That's more of what I'm getting at here. We can look back on history and see all sorts of things that altered the course of the future but that doesn't mean they are justified.

6. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I suppose what you're saying here is that despite slavery being an atrocity, are the descendants of slaves entitled to repparations when they
    weren't actually used as slaves themselves? And most of them wouldn't be who they are and where they are had it not occured. So they are not personally disadvantaged by the slavery of their ancestors and infact only who they are because of it?

I can kind of see the logic here but I don't think it's about the bigger picture. I think it's more about dignity. If you knew that your family were slaves it must be quite difficult to reconcile what they went through. Reparations are an attempt to acknowledge that it was wrong. Kind of a weighty appology I suppose. I'm not sure how far money actually does go towards healing wounds like that but I struggle to think of an alternative.

7. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I haven't heard the subject come up in ages. Who is talking about it, besides this thread?

8. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Thing is, the whole subject is being based on "the sins of the father". Essentially, just because members of your family tree were involved in slavery, you should pay for their deeds, regardless of your thoughts on the matter.

Now, why exactly, should someone have to pay for what their ancestors did hundreds of years ago? On another note, is it right to include those who's ancestors were against slavery, or even helped with the underground railroads?

It may have be wrong, but considering people today had nothing to do with the events back then, there's really nothing to apologise about. If anything, forcing the matter only serves to damage whatever bridges have been made.

Bananas and Altanzitarron like this.
  9. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

That's a really good point, dwelling on the history isn't going to do much for anyone. As long as we don't ignore it entirely ofcourse.

10. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

That's a given. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."