• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

This is almost over but...

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
.....can you imagine if it's actually authetic? Pollock is one of my biggest inspirations, his art makes no sense but it doesn't have to.

All I can say, if this was mine I wouldn't be selling it until I had it authenticated somehow, then I'm still not sure I'd be able to part with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mystery-Oil-Pan...From-Estate_W0QQitemZ7386933936QQcmdZViewItem

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What I don't understand is how people can sell this stuff for so much money? It just looks like splatters to me.. All of yours that I've seen are of actual pictures. :)

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
Yeah, a lot of people feel that way about his work and the copycats who followed. Believe it or not, it would be almost impossible to make a forgery of his work. Although it seems random, if you study his "splatter" paintings there is a pattern that must have made sense to him.
I think it was his alcoholic induced breakdown that finally allowed him to break free and create his own style. His earlier works were actually pretty "normal". I could go on and on, but I know this is only entertaining to me!:D

Last edited:

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
AngelsPeak said:
I could go on and on, but I know this is only entertaining to me!:D
Not just you :p ... If compared to his other works that actually have names n such, you start to decipher what his moods are with certain colors he used. This could have been a love letter painted over, or even a repainted canvas on one he thought was a mess..

Im really not familiar with Pollocks works, but now Im interested in finding out why no one can authenticate his work!

I think I would have contacted Antiques Roadshow before I sold it on eBay. They seem to find whoever they need and anything they appraise they also give the person an option to sell directly to them or receive bids from other museums n such.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
It's the whole "we can't find anyone to authenticate this" that makes me wonder if this truly is one of his works.
Seems to me the art world be jumping all over themselves at the chance to get their hands on one of his paintings from a private collection, especially with the note on the back.

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
I think its probably more like "we dont want to pay to have anyone authenticate it therefore we shall sell it as 'could be real, looks real, ...."

If I had this painting in my house, even if I scraped together my last two nickels, I couldnt afford to have someone review it and sign off for it.

We had a Johnny Bench card that we 'just knew' was authentic. Mainly because my grandfather said it was. But at the time we couldnt afford to have someone authenticate it and give us a COA for it. Ended up selling it for much much much less than it was worth (and we knew it) just because of the minor detail that it didnt come with the COA. The baseball card shop dude was happy!

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
Final bid...$2000.00 not bad for an estate sale find.

Wish I could have seen who the high bidder was.