This has nothing to do with auctions but...HELP?

Nanner

Registered Member
I am desperate (did I spell that right)? I'm asking everyplace I can think of. Anyone know how to get about 1/2 bottle of fingernail polish out of an off white carpet? Leave a 3 yr old alone with Daddy while you go out "with the girls" for the first time in 5 months and that is what you come home to. Think I'm doomed and it's in a spot where I can't set anything on top of it (yeah a nice plant almost right in the middle of the room? Lovely look....but hey better than a nice dark mauve spot?) The carpet is barely a year old too :( HELP?????!!!!!??? (crossing my fingers cuz I know there are quite a few Moms here)

Hmmm maybe I could cut out the spot (about 3")! and sell it on Ebay as something.......

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
The fingernail polish that started it all...

Wait something similar was already sold! I'd suggest a nice decorative rug...

I'm sure some of the other moms here might have a better idea, but personally I haven't dealt with that before.. :warp:

SamusAran86

Registered Member
well, not sure what to tell you, it is one of the tougher things to remove from carpet...

it will most likly permanetly stain that area of carpet. you can try some things that will thin it out, but those will most likely discolor the carpet

if you have some of it (the carpet) left, you can cut out the stain and have another piece put into its place, but Im not exactly sure how that would be done.

Nanner

Registered Member
Forehead Guy said:
The fingernail polish that started it all...

Wait something similar was already sold! I'd suggest a nice decorative rug...

I'm sure some of the other moms here might have a better idea, but personally I haven't dealt with that before.. :warp:

I thought of the rug thing but it still would be in a stupid place in the room but it may end up being the only solution. Gee you've never spilled your fingernail polish before? :smirk:

Ya think I could sell it as "So I don't have to kill the hubby...."? :D

Darth Tater said:
well, not sure what to tell you, it is one of the tougher things to remove from carpet...

it will most likly permanetly stain that area of carpet. you can try some things that will thin it out, but those will most likely discolor the carpet

if you have some of it (the carpet) left, you can cut out the stain and have another piece put into its place, but Im not exactly sure how that would be done.

Yup a bit of carpet left and saving that as a last resort :( Probably would look pretty crappy but better than the screaming color I have now. The worst part? My fav polish and they don't make it anymore! Hey I have priorities :D

Last edited:

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Yup a bit of carpet left and saving that as a last resort Probably would look pretty crappy but better than the screaming color I have now. The worst part? My fav polish and they don't make it anymore! Hey I have priorities
if done right, by that I mean professionally, it should look fine, I barely see any of the seams in my carpet throughout my house

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Kevin: And the only reason you see them is probably because you know about them. I bet people who don't live there don't notice them.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Thats true, I need new carper, but not while my kids are so young.. we are actually thinking about putting the "floating" floor in some of the rooms

CHrt46

Registered Member
I did a search on the internet and I came across this.

Get some non-acetone nail polish remover that has no fragrance or color added. Next, take a white cloth or paper towel and dip in the remover. Now test on a hidden part of the carpet (corner of a closet or a remnant) by blotting on the carpet. If color transfers to the cloth or the fabric 'melts', contact a carpet care professional. If your carpet is color safe, apply the remover to a white cloth and blot (do not rub) the stained area. This may take some time. Just keep blotting until the stain is gone. If the stain remains, make a solution of 1 teaspoon of dish washing liquild and 1 quart of warm water. Apply with enough of the solution to cover the stain and let soak for 5 minutes. Blot the excess moisture and rinse with warm water. Blot thoroughly with a clean cloth. If the stain reappears after drying, repeat. Aimee Keely from Kansas writes; "This is truly a miracle! I have teal green carpets, and I spilled a deep, dark purple fingernail polish onto it! I used Cutex fingernail polish remover, and dabbed it until the polish was a dull-looking purple. Then I used "10 Seconds Shoe Cleaner" to get up the rest of the nail polish, and you wouldn't believe it! The nail polish isn't there anymore! I'm back to my pretty teal green carpet! Try it...you wont believe it!" Thanks so much Aimee! Janelle writes; "I spilled a dark red nail polish all over the carpet in my apartment. I tried so many different strategies and nothing was working. Until I read this tip and now it's all gone! You mix 1 Tbsp. of ammonia with 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide. Saturate the stain with the solution, then place plastic wrap over it. Cover the plastic wrap with heavy books and leave overnight. In the morning, voila! Rinse with water." Thanks a bunch Janelle! I will test this the next time I spill any nail polish and let you all know how it works for me.

Nanner

Registered Member
Oh man! BIG DUH! Now why didn't I think of looking online? I do it for everything else! THANK YOU so much CHrt!

Hey Darth....whats a floating floor? I THINK I know but maybe not??? When we did the carpet in this house (a little over a yr ago when we bought it) we went with medium carpet because of the little kid....but....replacing this hunk, if I end up having to, is NOT something on my to do list. Waiting for her to get older too.....then again the BIG kid (hubby) in the family sometimes makes a bigger mess on things than she does. At least he leaves my nail polish alone though....I think? :D