This forum makes me feel > sad

[email protected]

***IF YOU WANT TO UNDERSTAND MY POST, READ ALL OF IT***

>:shake:<

That is how i felt when i first looked at this forum page i'd found on Google. Sad? Dissapointed? Yes.

I dont mean to dog out the forum itself, but i do mean to criticize and analyze the situation. WHERE ARE ALL THE PEOPLE??? Maybe its just me.:nod:
No, no, no, its not!:shake: No one is here, and that is a serious problem. All the work that went into this forum, and barely more than 10 people? I mean, CMON!!!

So, i go and check out another forum on a premier gaming site. SAME THING.
And another. SAME.
And another. SAME.

Where are all those big, hard hitting discussions i was looking for? Where's the analyzing of the gaming world? When will someone man up and say
"You know, i think we should do some work, and ALL of us in the gaming forum community should make just one, huge gaming forum site."

But maybe i'm just being a little naive. I mean, how in the world would we get all those snobs (and non-snobs) together in one place? They're all probably too busy trying to make a name for themselves.:-/

But then, you go and look at forums on games like Runescape. Just take one look at their suggestions forum, and you will be astounded. Constant posts, threads, people going and actualy thinking, talking, analyzing the game.

Now, if we could just think of the ENTIRE gaming community as one GIANT game, wouldnt it be alot easier? I mean, i have no clue where to post my ideas for MMOs at! Where would someone see them? Would the right people see them?

And I feel, its because of this spread out gaming community, that ideas like this never see posting. Even CASUAL gamers could have ideas that could change the way we view gaming!

Take for instance the new free throw mini-game on 2K6 (or 2K7, i forget). I was over my friends house with some other guys, and someone got the game out. As a hardcore gamer, myself, i tend to avoid the major franchise games in favor of the less popular genres. So, i decided not to play. But, as soon as i saw that the free throw mechanics had been changed, i IMMEDIATELY wanted to play. I'd never been good at the old way, so this was a chance for me to show some skills.

Needless to say, i didnt miss a single free throw.

I know, i know, its a pretty sorry representation of what i'm saying, but think about it. Someone had to come up with that idea. Who it came from, i have no idea. But, the point is, they were able to get that idea out somewhere, give it to someone else they knew who could possibly have it put in a game, and VOILA there it is on thousands of copies across the country(s)!

As our technology advances in leaps and bounds, our methods and strategies also need to. We, as gamers, need to evolve faster than our technology. If we dont, we could have the best, prettiest, most realistic visuals and best, most gorgeous, superb sound-
But what good is that when we're still playing "shoot the targets"?

I think this also goes along with Nintendos strategy of putting the fun and pick-up-ableness back into games. Its not all about the polish, as they've stated in various articles, but about the fun. Thats all there is to it at the end of the day. Its just you, connected to controller, connected too machine, connected to game, connected to fun, connected to you. Thats all there is too it.

Now, as gaming takes off on its next line of consoles (meaning next line of fun) we need to take off with it, as outsiders.

Yes, yes THAT is the point of my post. Letting outsiders in. Letting them join the gaming community from the outside.

Now that i've got my purpose down, i'm going to need you guys help. I need the help of insiders and outsiders. And everyone has to be in on it.

DUDES AND DUDETTES OF GAMEFORUM.COM, HERE MY PLEA!!!!!

Join with me, and together, let us ride the gaming horse into the sunset of victorious fun.:tired: As outsiders and insiders, we must collaborate together to make our video games more than just video games. We shall make them into
happiness. (jeez that was cheesy)

But seriously guys, cmon. We need to band together as developers, programmers, designers, sound recordists, free thinkers, casual gamers, and random weirdos allike! We all enjoy games, and for most of us, they push out the best (and worst) in us. It's time for a change into the next generation of critical thinking, and we're here to lead the charge.

I'd love to hear what you have to say personally, so send me an email (please, no angry messages and/or ads).

[email protected]

I want in. What about you?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hi there,

If the entire gaming community wants to come here then let them. :D

Seriously though, good solid post with some good points. We've actually not done much marketing to date with this forum, but we are a growing network overall. If you look at the top right hand corner of the forum, you'll see a network dropdown list. One of our original features is that with your single login that you just created, you can post at any of our forums.

We haven't pushed the gaming side of our network as much, but that is going to change in the near future.

Many of us here (at GF) have been part of another game forum I ran back in 2000. We are avid gamers and generally have a good deal to say about most thing game related.

If you want to have some solid heart to heart game talk, you've definitely come to a place that you can get it.

Spinlock

Registered Member
I'd have to say on this topic that there is a lack of good thread initiators... people who are not only willing to start a topic, but pick good ones. I myself am more of a responder... I reply, but I don't come up with many original posts.

How can we remedy this situation? If you figure it out, write an article and I'll post it on my website and get it Dugg and Slashdotted. Forum admins the world over are trying to figure out a good way to get more active participation. So far, the best they've come up with is to make a forum dedicated to a more controversial or popular but specific topic. Gaming is a pretty general topic, and in general it's filled with the same discussion topics over and over, since the Flood and before in history. It really lends itself more to articles and reviews than forum discussion. This particular forum would be a great background structure for a zine dedicated to gaming... real reviews and how-tos from real gamers who actually have to spend their own money on the games instead of being given them and paid by corporate sponsors.

Agreeing with whatever you guys said....

NO jk jk
I think that, to have more people, you need a couple things.
1. Advertisement
2. Good looking forums
3. Easy to find options on forum page
4. A good amount of information about subject/topic of forum
5. Fun, playable content (seeing as how this is a gaming forum)
6. Hardcore, big, important threads in gaming.

If you work on these few, i believe other things come more naturally.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Just remember that most of us have been doing this since you were 9-10 years old and even younger.

1. Advertisement
We have plenty. How do you think you got here?

2. Good looking forums
If you have a problem with the appearance, please, tell us. We're always tweaking and making the sites more aesthetically pleasing.

3. Easy to find options on forum page
I didn't know that any of our options were hard to find, but please, make the topics and we'll address them A.S.A.P., I promise.

4. A good amount of information about subject/topic of forum
You need users to gain information, and that information is stored in their grey matter. Make some topics about your favorite games or types of games. Spark some discussion. Those discussions lead to more, and all of a sudden you have a booming forum.

5. Fun, playable content (seeing as how this is a gaming forum)
If you join premium, we actually have an arcade where you can compete with other members for high scores; that's where the trophy comes from next to my name. Feel free to look into premium. It's very affordable at $12/yr. and we offer a network-wide deal.

6. Hardcore, big, important threads in gaming.
That's up to you, the poster. Get to posting. ;)

bobbus74

Registered Member
I'm pretty new here but I echo these thoughts completely. It is strangely quiet around here.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Hey, be nice. If you're not gonna be nice, at least be a smart ass about it and hide the fact that you're not being nice so they don't get it. It's funnier that way.

But yeah, we're picking up, and that's great.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Nobody is really complaining. Just the first guy who posted this thread and he has been long gone for a while now. ;)