Thinking of options

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by Darren, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Darren

Darren Registered Member

I'm currently in high school and have been debating what my options are for later in life (Or what I'm actually interested in).

My first position would be a police officer. I have wanted to be employed in the police force for the majority of my life until now.

My next choice I have recently looked into is ChildLine support. ChildLine support are members of staff which work in the call centers answering calls to children. It's voluntary but I believe I would get greater satisfaction helping a child in a difficult situation than being paid doing so.

Another option is counseling. Everyone needs a listener. I'd enjoy being able to listen to someone and/or provide help to someone.

Finally, disabled children. Society often looks down on disabled people. Like the others listed above, I believe it would be helpful to be there for many.

I'm really not sure which path to take. In my situation, which job would appeal to you most?

2. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

It seems like you want to help people directly. Just think of the people you want to help the most, and that's the job for you.

3. Darren

Darren Registered Member

Understandable but the majority of them are helping children. That only half helps as I do want to help children but the procedures you take in each occupation differ.

No disrespect though, thanks for the reply.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Counselling would appeal to me most, to answer your question. But this is about you :p so..

Does this sound like you?:

• effective communication skills including tact and diplomacy;
    • community and customer focus;
    • a sense of personal responsibility, integrity and resilience;
    • problem-solving skills;
    • a confident and calm manner;
    • good literacy skills so that you can accurately record details;
    • respect for diversity;
    • teamworking skills and the ability to work independently.
    There are quite a lot of requirements for joining the police force (I'm talking about health, tattoos etc now) but I'm sure if you've been interested for a while now then you don't need me to tell you lol.

Is it really practical to base your future around voluntary work? It's a very nice thought and gesture and it does work for some people, but you have to ask yourself if it's realistic.

Working with disabled children/people in general can be extremely stressful. Are you strong-willed enough to cope with this as a career option?

If I were you, I'd probably choose either counselling or police officer. You can still get a lot of satisfaction from helping people even if you're getting paid you know :) and then maybe take up voluntary work on the side later on in life. But again like I said, counselling is my favourite.

5. Darren

Darren Registered Member

Thanks. That helped a lot. I'll consider that :).

Although, I have 2 years before I can even begin work in the police force. I may try a 2 year course which can get me a few qualifications for any counseling jobs later.

6. Nick-Aotmzgin

Nick-Aotmzgin Registered Member

well Disabeld kids reaching out "helping" and listening to needed (ChildLine) kids/TeenAgers and social working - Category is diffrent then being a police officer, 3 diffrent levels of occupation but still,
    all answering the question of social issues and complications in sociaty.
    if u concern to your safety be a ChildLine Voulnter, you will get the same Satisfaction, just without all the Action and Adrenaline in a law Enforcment job.

7. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

I'd say go with the one your most drawn too. You have to strive to find the job you love to do and the job that you can wake up to everyday and not hate. If you like helping people go in that direction. It will pay off more later in the future if you choose a job that you love without thinking of dollar signs. It just makes things come together better.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

When I read your options, I thought of another line of work which would mix a bit of all your options: Social Worker

A Bachelor's degree in Social Work will prepare you for beginning and advanced practice in clinical social work and organization and community practice.