Thinking of going to see a College Football game

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

ME and my friends are planning to go see a Football game, it could be an NFL game or might decide to go see a College Football game instead. I've heard from many people that a College Football would be better to watch live then the NFL.

Now I know three of our main posters in this section(Millz, Vincent and Echoes) have seen a College Football game, so I ask you how's the atmosphere live? Is it worth the price of admission? Who would you suggest to go see? Are tickets hard to purchase?

PS: Don't forget me and my friends like to party lol :lol:

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

The atmosphere at college football games is better than any other sport in America. I think you would be blown away at any game where the school has good football tradition. It's without a doubt worth the price of admission.

You will probably have a hard time finding tickets for sale through the schools for the bigger programs, unless you want to see a powerhouse beat up on a cupcake, then there will probably be tickets available. You'll find tickets for any game at stubhub.com but they'll probably be pricey. Your best bet is probably just going to the stadium on game day and buying from a scalper. There are tons of people walking around selling tickets, and the closer to game time the cheaper they'll sell them for. My dad and I got great seats to the Wisconsin at Ohio State game a few years ago by doing that.

As for who I'd suggest to see...how would you be getting there? I'd recommend Ohio State, Penn State, or Michigan. You could probably drive to any of them. They're three of the biggest stadiums in the country for any sport, and they all have great tradition and atmosphere.

3. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

I second pretty much everything Echoes said. College football has amazing atmosphere for teams with a good football program. The NFL is fun to watch live (I've gone to a number of Bengals games), but it can't compare to college in my opinion.

Like Echoes said, scalpers are a decent option of getting tickets, though depending on how many friends you go with you may have a bit of trouble getting a bunch of seats next to each other through scalpers. If you want to keep costs down, look for games against weaker opponents (if you aim to go to an OSU/Penn State/Michigan game, look for when they might play Minnesota, Indiana, or Illinois possibly) because there are more likely to be more tickets available and at cheaper prices and the atmosphere will still be great.

Where to go is up to you. Like Echoes said, OSU, Penn State, and Michigan are all traditional powerhouses so you are all but guaranteed a good experience. Also, if you come to an OSU game we could meet up before hand.

4. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I'll probably being going to Ohio State/Ohio and Ohio State/Penn State.. I may also try and hit a couple of Pitt games this year as well, possibly Pitt/WVU.

The atmosphere is crazy at college football games.

5. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I would absolutely pick a college football game over a pro football game. Maybe I'm spoiled in the wrong way but I have quarter season tickets with the Rams and they've sucked for so long that I haven't enjoyed going for a while.

I went to an Illinois/Michigan game in Illinois and it was awesome. I've seen Illinois/Mizzou a bunch at the Edwards Jones Dome and they've been awesome.

Just too many commercials and slow time for an NFL game for my liking. I don't notice it as much as home when I'm watching because I can distract myself. I'd go college. I'm going to the Rams/Ravens preseason game tonight...I'm sure that'll be terrible. I'll last a half I'm sure only...just want to see Sam Bradford.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

We would probably be driving down, or if possible taking a bus tour, but I'm not sure if they do that in my area for College Football games.

I want to see a powerhouse team play, it doesn't really matter to me who they play against. I wouldn't mind seeing a Buckeyes game, since both Echoes and Vincent said the atmosphere was amazing.

I just want to experience a College Football game, the CIS(Canadian University Football) as some good atmosphere but it fails in comparasion to College Football(this is from watching on television.)

Thanks for the suggests guys.

7. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Nothing beats a college football Saturday! Come to Ann Arbor (don't hate me Echoes, or at least any more than you already do :lol:) for a late game and tailgate before. Buy tickets from another fan, NOT a scalper or broker. (I'm a scalper or I used to be) go through the tailgaters and call out "I need # tickets and negotiate! Unless it is a big game you can usually buy them below face value. Big game = big bucks.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

As much as I hate the Wolverines I'd still like to see a game at the Big House, even if my Buckeyes aren't playing. I saw Michigan play at Northwestern a few years back. Stadium was half full of Michigan fans. I felt like I was in enemy territory. :lol:

9. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

If any of you guys want to come to Ann Arbor PM me your phone # and I will give you the inside scoop. Michigan sucks these days so it should be pretty easy to get tickets. Just DO NOT wear OSU apparel, I can not be held responsible :lol:

Although I've been told it is not nearly as bad as wearing UM in Columbus!

10. Zappa

Zappa Registered Member

Both my parents worked at PSU for awhile and we went to most home games there while I was growing up. I went to college in New Mexico for a brief time, and I'll tell you, the two are worlds apart. If you want the college football experience, hit a Big Ten or SEC game, that's my advice.