Thinking of getting into Anime.

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Atreyu, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Atreyu

Atreyu #2 New Zealander

What would be some good recommendations? I was thinking about bleach, but the dvd only comes with episodes 1-4

I can only by DVDs. It isn't shown on NZ TV.

Other Anime I should get? English dubbed voices are essential:lol:

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I can imagine Vegito going all hyper about this thread. He likes converting people and getting them into Anime. Oh and he makes decent suggestions too. :)

3. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

I wouldn't try getting into anime with a really long series like Bleach. It's a great show, no doubt. It's just I'd start with a shorter series. Get a few series under your belt than you can start with the long series.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

But here are some good series to start out with.

In order of recommendation,

Full Metal Panic: This show has a little bit of everything and is a lot of fun. It'd be a great series to start out with.

Cowboy Bebop: It's a classic and most people love it. Unless you're Swift.

Full Metal Alchemist: This is my favorite anime so I have to list it. It's a great series with deep characters and a solid plot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

FMP/Cowboy Bebop are both pretty short series. FMP is 24 eps and Cowboy Bebop is 26 + a movie.

FMA is the longest of the series I listed at 51 eps + a movie. I don't consider this a long series though.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  4. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I would recommend a boxset of an anime series that is short and to be honest not terribly complicated. Some series are just meant for people who are already anime fans.

Boxsets are the cheapest too and you get the most for you buck.

Series I would recommend that have Boxsets:

Full Metal Panic! (24 ep)
    Black Lagoon (12 ep)
    & FullMetal Alchemist (51 ep)

EDIT: Forgot Gundam Seed (50 ep)

I think those are good starter anime.

If you like those we can recommend you other stuff.

I would not recommend Bleach simply because the anime is 180+ episodes long...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  5. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I'm in the mood for starting a new anime. Ive been about 30 episodes into Monster for ages and havn't been bothered with it for months so I can't remember exactly where I was or what was going on. The last anime I really enjoyed was Death Note. Any recommendations of something in that vain?

6. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

Well I don't know what you have seen so I'm just going to throw a few anime out there and you can tell me if you've seen them or not.

Also, does it matter what kind of anime? Or are you just looking for something good?

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya(14 eps)
    Full Metal Alchemist(51 eps)
    Eureka Seven(50 eps)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  7. padd

padd Registered Member

Witch Hunter Robin.. 26 Episodes.. if i liked it.. anyone will.

I can't stand japanese cartoons.

8. Clear_Note

Clear_Note Demon King/Sith Warrior

Why, because you don't like cartoons that actually have a storyline?

9. padd

padd Registered Member

If you can call it that. Storylines are supposed to be straight to the point.. anime's are not. Watching an anime is not as entertaining as watching Family Guy, at all. TV is meant for entertainment. Anyways I don't have any chanels that catch anime on my TV as I only have 4 chanells without cable.

10. Mason

Mason phawq

I agree with these recommendations.

I'd definitely recommend FMP since It's got a good mix of humour, action and a serious plot. Though keep in mind that FMP's first series had 24 eps, not all the series' put together. Fumoffu (Which is a comedy dominant spin-off) has 12 eps, and The Second Raid (True sequel to Season 1) has 13 eps + 1 OVA. All that put together makes 50.