• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Thinking of getting a couple of fish...

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Hey everyone.

I've really wanted a pet since my dog passed away in 2004; a cat or dog probably isn't going to happen, as I live with my parents and they aren't interested.

I'm thinking about getting a couple of fish. I'd be starting from scratch and having to buy everything.

I'd appreciate any of your advice, experiences, etc. What kind of fish? Prices of good tanks, etc.? What do I need to know about care (the last time I had a fish I was a wee lad, lol).

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, salt water is more expensive and more difficult to maintain but the fish are usually a lot neater looking. Usually lots of bright colors.

Fresh water is a lot cheaper and much easier to maintain since normal tap water will suffice. (Instead of having to mix your own salt water).

I've had fish before and there are some fun fresh water fish you can go with. I'd recommend that route if you are just wanting to try it out.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Well, salt water is more expensive and more difficult to maintain but the fish are usually a lot neater looking. Usually lots of bright colors.

Fresh water is a lot cheaper and much easier to maintain since normal tap water will suffice. (Instead of having to mix your own salt water).

I've had fish before and there are some fun fresh water fish you can go with. I'd recommend that route if you are just wanting to try it out.
Yeah I was planning on freshwater. I'm sure maintaining that would be enough work for me! :)

I had a Betta when I was a kid; I love the colors on those, but I also know that having two would mean they'd fight, right? Not good.

What freshwaters do you recommend?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Beta suck.

I'm actually looking to get at least one or two fish myself seeing as they're the only animals our school allows.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Here's what they do:

- Kill each other
- Poop
- Not move
- Die

There.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
If you want a fish that will be real cool, Check out Tiger Oscars. They belong to the Cichlid family (pronounced Sick-Lid). Most pet stores carry them, especially the real big corporate ones like Petsmart.

I originally had 3, got them all at once when they were all the same size. Probably about the size of a standard spoon end (the shovel part). Within about a month they grew substantially, and One of them ended up eating the other Two. I had that Oscar for the better part of 3 maybe 4 years. When it finally died, it was bigger than my hand laying flat.

That fish had tons of character, it would follow my hand along the tank walls. They are carnivorous, so you get to buy feeder fish and watch it go nuts on the feeders. I had people tell me you could feed them ground beef....but I never tried that.

Best of all Oscars are Fresh water fish. Easy to set up, pretty darn persistent critters to! I'd fully recommend one. I mean why get one of those wimpy colorful fish when you can get a fish that basically kicks the ass of all others?

this is kinda what mine looked like:

Blueyes

Registered Member
Betas do not suck, in fact I think they are pretty. I have a 30 gallon tank and had a blue male one and had no issues. I had a couples sharks, bala and red tailed, a slew of tetras, catfish, algae eaters, snails, a few others I can't even remember now and there was no fighting.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Bettas are sold to be fighters though. Fish fighting isn't illegal. ;) Bettas don't make good "community" fish from my experience. They will pick fights with other fish you have.

They can be good if they get along with other fish but there are other options you can go with.

Some fresh water fish I have had and like are:

(All of these will get along with each other and you can have them in the same tank. I am only listing fish that I have had before. I'm sure if you take this list to a pet store they can show you these fish and other similar options.)

All around good community fish: (10-20 total from this group depending on tank size)

Neon Tetras - Bright and very small. 5-10 of these depending on the tank size

Black Widow Tetras - Get 5 or so, they aren't huge but they aren't small either

Guppies
-guppies are awesome. They have live births and you'll get baby guppies, If you want to breed them you'll need to get a breeding net to put the female in just before she has the baby fish so they are born into a separate area and can't be eaten by the other fish. Let them out when they are big enough to survive on their own. Very cool fish all around)

Swordtails - These are similar to guppies and also have live births. They are bright and make a good addition to any fresh water aquarium setup.

Bala Shark - Don't worry these aren't "sharks". They are about 2 inches long and are gray in color. They are really cool and make for good medium size fresh water fish. They won't kill smaller fish either.

Necessary fish: (for eating algae and bottom feeding)

Cory Catfish
- Get 2-3 of these depending on the size of the tank. You need these for sure.

Plecostomus - Algae Eating Fish, 1 is usually fine but 2 is ok if you have a larger tank. These things eat all the algae that will grow in your tank. A must have unless you like scrubbing out algae weekly/monthly depending on where your tank is in relation to the sunlight.

Fun Extras: (If you want to really have a sweet setup)

Crayfish - These are like miniature fresh water lobsters. They are about 2 inches to 3 inches in size and will shed their exoskeloton periodically as they grow bigger. They won't kill your other fish (usually) and they are awesome to have. Especially if you get a bright red or bright blue one.

Fiddler Crabs - Very small crabs. The males have one huge claw and one small while the females have two small claws. These are awesome as well. I would not recommend getting crabs AND crayfish however. I never had them at the same time and my guess would be that they might fight eachother.

Crabs or Crayfish are very cool though. If I ever get an aquarium set up again I'd get one of them again for sure. For me at least it makes the aquarium feel complete.

So there you have it. The fish (etc) listed above are all things that I've owned in the past and have all lived in the same tank together peacefully. Mix it up a bit. Try some of those if you like and see what you can come up with.

How big of a tank to you plan on getting? I'd say 20 gallon minimum but the bigger you get the more fun it will be. (And more work too though)