• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Thinking of getting a cat

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm thinking of getting a cat, and figured I'd create this thread for any tips/ideas/etc. that people may have - who here owns one or has owned one in the past?

I love dogs and cats both, but since I'm single and work full-time a dog just doesn't seem possible right now. I live in an apartment as well and feel it's better for a cat.

I've held off on getting a pet for a while after my move here in February, but am having one of those "if not know, when?" sort of thought processes this weekend. I'd love to have a pet to care for and coming home to one after a stressful day at work is a beautiful thing.

After Millz & Bex got their puppy this week, I just kept thinking why not move forward? I am going to take at least a little time to put money aside so that I can make sure that I'm ready for this financially. I have a lot of bills already and a pet would add a little to my rent every month and besides spay/neuter and declawing (if I do that, I know it's become somewhat controversial but I'm leaning toward it for now).

This also gives me some time to research places to get one - in St. Louis the big 3 I'm looking at are Stray Rescue, The Humane Society, and Tenth Life. I'm leaning toward a kitten at this point. I do work full time but my parents live nearby and could check in on him/her during the day for me.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Whatever you do, keep it inside! Do not let your cat outside unless it's in an enclosed cat run or sheltered caged area.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I love cats, they are so affectionate, easy to take care of too. Kittens can be funny as hell when playing and get into trouble. I had one almost hang itself on the mini blind cord. I had another cat that would unroll the toilet paper, he just loved doing that. If it wasn't in the holder he would steal it, get under the sofa and tear it to pieces. He loved the TP.

Now I'm wishing I had a little fuzzy buddy sitting in my lap. Bet I would get some help typing.

I might feel different if I lived in an apartment in the city but here I wouldn't dare declaw a cat. They are in enough danger as it is, they need to be able to defend themselves and climb a tree. Which you couldn't make my cats stay in the house or they would be following me around bitching.

Fur balls sometimes can be a problem with cats. It can kill them. There is all kinds of fur ball remedy out there but they can get bad enough to have to take them to the vet.

Those sound like some good places to look for a kitten.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Whatever you do, keep it inside! Do not let your cat outside unless it's in an enclosed cat run or sheltered caged area.
I wouldn't be letting it outside at all without a carrier, and that would be reserved for trips to the vet and stuff like that.

I love cats, they are so affectionate, easy to take care of too. Kittens can be funny as hell when playing and get into trouble. I had one almost hang itself on the mini blind cord. I had another cat that would unroll the toilet paper, he just loved doing that. If it wasn't in the holder he would steal it, get under the sofa and tear it to pieces. He loved the TP.

Now I'm wishing I had a little fuzzy buddy sitting in my lap. Bet I would get some help typing.

I might feel different if I lived in an apartment in the city but here I wouldn't dare declaw a cat. They are in enough danger as it is, they need to be able to defend themselves and climb a tree. Which you couldn't make my cats stay in the house or they would be following me around bitching.

Fur balls sometimes can be a problem with cats. It can kill them. There is all kinds of fur ball remedy out there but they can get bad enough to have to take them to the vet.

Those sound like some good places to look for a kitten.
Thanks for the feedback! Luckily I have a lot of time to research this, but I'm thinking if I get a kitten I'll be smart to have it be older than 6 months so that it's personality is somewhat developed and so that being alone during the day for long periods wouldn't be bad for it psychologically. I've read stories a lot today and it sounds like it can work younger, but I'll also talk to the place I decide to go with about my job.

Luckily I have a cool enough boss that if I wanted to travel home for some lunch break visits while the cat is getting acclimated, she'd let me do that I'm sure.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've never had a cat and I'm more of a dog person, so I don't have any advice to give you, but cats are cool. What breed are you thinking of getting?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I wouldn't be letting it outside at all without a carrier, and that would be reserved for trips to the vet and stuff like that.
And that makes you already smarter than about 80% of cat owners.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
And that makes you already smarter than about 80% of cat owners.
I feel like in the States it's not a huge problem. I mean my parents' neighbors across the street and down one house have a cat that's always outside but it's troublesome because he jumps on cars and tries to come into houses with people. Once I left, and he ran out from under my car when I started it and laid down in the street about 5-10 feet away without moving. I had to drive around his diva butt lol - scared me though because that's reckless and he may not get lucky every time.

I know declawing has become more and more frowned upon and it does seem inhumane. I think the areas I'd worry is (1) my furniture - selfish thought, but I have a one bedroom apartment and can't afford to replace things at this point, and (2) my two year-old niece. I'd want her to meet a cat but I don't want scratching to happen for sure. I'm about 50/50 on declawing at this point, but again I have lots of time to consider all options. One of the shelters I mentioned, 10th Life, makes you sign a statement that you definitely won't do it. Another, Stray Rescue, strongly discourages it but I believe has some cats that are declawed. The more I'm reading on that topic, the more it sounds as if well-behaved cats with a scratching post do just fine. But like I said, I'm still researching options.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A good friend of mine also lives in an apartment and she has two cats. She absolutely loves them. I've met them about ten times or so and they're pretty friendly and active when you play with them. They definitely change my perception I had regarding cats, that's for sure.

But, I'm more of a dog person, and I think you not getting a dog is a great idea. You should totally get a cat, buddy.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I would suggest not declawing it. Even indoor cats sometimes have a tendency to get out and their claws are their best weapons against larger predators.... although, if you live in the city, coyotes are probably not gonna be an issue for you. Regardless, I'd still suggest against declawing. Maybe get a scratching post or some toys to keep your kitten ore-occupied. That's about all I can suggest. Cats are pretty independent, there's not a whole you need to work about when it comes to taking care of them.... y'know aside from food and water.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'd suggest some hamsters (easier maintenance) but I could tell from experience they will break your heart in a couple of years. :(